Author Topic: Bunnies  (Read 2426 times)

feet of clay

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
Bunnies
« on: July 27, 2004, 22:18:02 »
Watching our resident wild bunnies this morning, I noticed that there was a black one in the gang.  A few years ago, my wild rabbits were all small with shorter ears. Is this 'normal' or have I just got weird rabbits?  Little darlings have taken the tops off all my red-leaved dahlias but left the others alone.

Plocket

• Hectare
  • Clematis Crystal Fountain
    • Plocket's Clematis Site
Re:Bunnies
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2004, 16:21:29 »
Hi FoC! Can't help you with your query, but the rabbits do sound cute.

My husband swears there is one particular rabbit that "waves" to him every day when he drives to work!
The tree which moves some to tears of joy is in the eyes of others only a green thing which stands in the way... (William Blake)

gilgamesh

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2004, 17:04:42 »
Melanistic forms are not uncommon - certainly commoner than albinos - in many species. There used to be a field full of variegated rabbits, from normal agouti to near-black, near Kidsgrove, which I used to see from the Manchester train every morning. I presume they are less well adapted for survival purposes as they are a touch more conspicuous, and thus more likely to fall victim to predators.
Sumer is a coming in....

TrailRat

• Half Acre
  • I like the feel of dirt in my teeth
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2004, 19:30:49 »
Black rabbits actually have a higher survival rate because there predators are nocturnal and the rabbits blend in easier than any other colour. This stuff I know because my girlfriend breeds rabbits and at two in the morning, looking for a black rabbit that has escaped, is not funny. Trust me on this.

TrailRat
If it weren't for beer and sex than cycling would be the best thing in the world.

gilgamesh

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2004, 09:23:43 »
Pre 1916, they thought the same about destroyers, and painted them all black. It turned out they were wrong. Actually the major predators of adult rabbits are not so much nocturnal as crepuscular - but I've had the same experiences as you trying to catch escaped bunnies at night. Fun isn't the word I'd choose to describe it.
Sumer is a coming in....

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal