Author Topic: Seals  (Read 2495 times)

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
Seals
« on: July 20, 2004, 10:47:05 »
We were lucky enough to see a seal at Stone Point at the weekend, I hadn't seen one in that part of 'Secret Water' before. I'd have thought that it would be too busy for them but it seemed quite happy among the boats. Made my daughters day -partly because she fell asleep soon after and missed the other half :)

I know you're not likely to find one in your garden pond, but just thought I'd share. We also spotted something you're not likely to want in your gartden pond -a heron :o -shame the flamingo isn't there any more.

Jeremy

Val

• Hectare
  • I hate those mieces to pieces
    • Wrinkles
Re:Seals
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2004, 16:37:41 »
 8)Wwhere is stone point then Jezza? You can keep the heron but I wouldn't have minded seeing the seals :D
"I always wanted to be somebody…but I should have been more specific."

derbex

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2004, 14:23:21 »
It's at Walton-on-the-Naze in Essex, just over the way from Harwich. Stone Point is the tip of the Naze.

The whole area is known as the backwaters and having been brought up there I can say that it's not without reason ;D

If you're an Arthur Ransom fan it's a.k.a Secret Water.

Jeremy

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2004, 16:59:16 »
 8)Ah, thanks Jezza, I've been there ;D many years ago we went to Jaywick for a holiday and although I didn't know at the time so did hubby. I loved it, we've both got a soft spot for that area, gentle quiet, we've even thought of going back to have a look I expect its all changed though hasn't it?

derbex

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2004, 17:21:59 »
It's probably got smaller -coastal erosion and all that! I don't know Jaywick very well -although the time was that every house came with a boat, or was it the other way around ;D They've done a lot on the sea defences there since.

Otherwise there's been a bit of building, but the whole area seems to mark time really.

Jeremy

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2004, 18:15:44 »
 ;DSounds good to me, Think my clubbing days are over ;) Not that they ever really started but I don't know if they have grannies night.

Toots

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2004, 08:16:53 »
Just back from a sailing holiday with friends to the Inner hebrides.One place we anchored in a group of islands off Islay is famous for its seal colonies.

They were all round us playing fighting,sleeping and watching.Quite unphased by us.The place was full of their cries and honks.

The highlight was when a very young seal started to follow us.It followed our dinghy as we headed for the nearest island.It got so close to the boat,bobbing up and down paddling frantically with its wee flippers,sticking its head out watching us!

It was an amazing experience! I looked right into its big round black eyes as it looked at me!

We got a video of some of it which I hope to get some stills from.

We all agreed it was a once in a lifetime experience. ;D :o

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal