Author Topic: slow cooker recipes  (Read 16298 times)

caseylee

• Hectare
Re: slow cooker recipes
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2008, 17:01:38 »
I have a large black slow cooker so never have a prob with staining it.  I am a bit of a cheat when it somes to curries.  I buy the packet mix of creamy chicken curry, pop it in with a little extra milk or water, brown the chicken off, add small onions, and any veg in the freezer also lots of garlic ( love garlic) and leave it on low for the whole day.  It taste as good as if you made it from scratch.    I buy alot of packet mixes cause of limited time and they come out gorgeous in the slow cooker. Just add a little extra liquid and off you go

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2008, 17:37:54 »
I often thought about curries Caseylee......do they stain the pot?

I have two slow cookers..The family sized one is brown glazed and the two person one is white glazed. I have never had any staining from either of them.

If you have a roast chicken on a Sunday, use the leftover meat to make a curry, or korma for Monday evening, all you have to do when you get in is boil up some rice...Delish  :P
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2008, 23:33:32 »
Yep, I'll second all that. Chile con carne is also a good one, either with the packet mix or from scratch (easy peasy), so is bolognaise. It's the convenience of the thing which is so great. It saves all the rushing around at the end of a busy day, plus the food tastes better.
I made lemon curd in it once, it was very nice.
Smile, it confuses people.

cockadoodledoo

• Not So New ...
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2008, 17:53:45 »
I do a 7 hour lamb recipe that ive been doing for a few years.....lost the actual recipe now but roughly......
leg or shoulder of lamb seasoned & sealed in a pan first
4 carrots halved
4 onions
8 whole garlic cloves
1/2 pint of stock
1/4 pint of white/rose wine
rosemary sprigs
I also add swede to save on the work for a sunday roast.....then I only have to do do some roasters, parsnips & greens separately.  In fact ive got a picture from when I was snapping everything with my new camera :)..........i'll see if I can upload it :-\................after 7 hours you can just scrape the meat away with a fork.....lurvly :)

cockadoodledoo

• Not So New ...
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2008, 18:32:03 »
Noop! ??? dont know how to add the picci, sorry...................................................p.s.  I have a couple of slow cookers and sometimes borrow a couple from friends for birthdays/bonfire night/new years eve etc..........use them for stew/chilli/curry/hot dogs/onions/keeping baked potatoes warm.............its all done in advance, then it all gets left on low, wont burn like leaving it on the cooker, everyone can help themselves and I can concentrate on pouring myself wine ;D

cockadoodledoo

• Not So New ...
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2008, 21:40:43 »

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2008, 21:47:09 »
that looks lovely, we cooked a most gorgeous piece of gammon in ours yesterday ;D

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2008, 22:20:26 »
I made a luverly beef casserole today, with carrots, onions, parsnip and sweet potatoes and mick sturbs in first, browned meat on top and stock. Cooked it on high for 5 hours then low for 5 hours. Very tasty.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2008, 01:00:14 »
I made a luverly beef casserole today, with carrots, onions, parsnip and sweet potatoes and mick sturbs in first, browned meat on top and stock. Cooked it on high for 5 hours then low for 5 hours. Very tasty.
what are mick sturbs, please?
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

DenBee

• Acre
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2008, 07:25:35 »
what are mick sturbs, please?

I wondered that for a minute.  Then I said it out loud.  ;D
Tread softly, for you tread on my greens.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2008, 08:45:15 »
Mixed herbs  ;D (a Woganism - that is Terry Wogan of course)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 08:46:50 by Emagggie »

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2008, 10:52:52 »
LOL :D It is hard enough deciphering the British-ism! Then this one!
I was telling some friends yesterday about this fun forum and how you are speaking English words but when they are all put together sometimes I still can't figure out what is implied! ;D

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2008, 12:24:29 »
Crikey GA, just had a peep and see you are in Delaware :o
No wonder you are having bovver ;D ;D

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2008, 15:45:48 »
Crikey GA, just had a peep and see you are in Delaware :o
No wonder you are having bovver ;D ;D
  See what I mean: "bovver"???! :)

littlebabybird

• Hectare
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2008, 16:50:37 »
My wonderful husband has ordered me a slow cooker :)
how much liquid do you have to put in?
i love the idea of being able to put stuff in in the morning and come home to a cooked meal,
can i cook the dumplings in it when i get home?
is there anything that i would put in a soup/stew/cassreole that i cant cook in a slow cooker
lbb

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2008, 17:22:35 »
Boiling stock to cover ingreds LBB. Don't forget to preheat cooker - I just switch it on high while I prepare veg and brown the meat. You can add thickening agent at the begining i.e. coat meat & veg in flour before browning  or what ever you usually do, or 30 mins - 1 hour before the end of cooking. If you lift the lid during cooking  the book says you will need to add 30mins. Don't forget to change temp to low if you are cooking in it all day (or night). HTH. ;D
ps. don't know about dumplings as mine are always a disaster! I'm sure you could add them for the last hour if you turn up to high. Have a go and let me know. If it works, I'll have another go. ;D
Can't think of anything you can't use, just put veg at the bottom as they take a long time to cook in Slo cooker.

littlebabybird

• Hectare
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2008, 17:57:39 »
thank you Emagggie

Stan0406

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2008, 19:06:16 »
I love my slow cooker and like lots, I agree it is a life saver for busy working peeps!  Dumplings work fine - just add for the last hour of cooking.  Another tip is to add new potatoes to the stew, but let them sit in a smaller pirex dish in the slow cooker (with a small amount of liquid) when the other bits are cooking.  You then have stew, and new pots ready when you come in...

prink13

• Hectare
  • Sleeping the day away!
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2008, 09:30:26 »
Used my new slow cooker this weekend to make an Oxtail stew for my hubby, cooked for 6 hours on Saturday and a further 10 on Sunday, he loved it! ;D

Just used one oxtail, 5 cloves of garlic, 1 onion, 1/2 bottle red wine, some worcester sauce and some caserole mix - I'm so glad he liked it.

Kathi
Kathi :-)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2008, 10:08:48 »
7 hour Lamb? Wish the AGA would go down low enough without confusing everything.

With the price of oil going from 19 to 53 ppl in a year, we really ought to keep it down always!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal