Author Topic: Tell me why  (Read 1631 times)

ACE

• Hectare
Tell me why
« on: March 03, 2008, 16:13:17 »
There must be a few hospital workers out there who can answer my question.

Why do I have to wear a hospital gown that ties up at the back, which I cannot do, so I end up walking about with my @rse hanging out.

I have had to have some tests on my mouth before next weeks op. but even though all anybody was doing was looking in my gob, I still had to wear one of these silly outfits.

Hygene and stuff comes to mind but as most of my back was not covered, any nasties crawling about me were transfered to the beds, stretchers and couches I sat on today.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
Re: Tell me why
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 16:23:45 »
In obstetrics we use a lot of spinal and epidural analgesia, so it makes sense to have access at the back. Gowns that fastened at the front would leave more interesting parts liable to be exposed! Having a gown that was seamless would cause problems when IVI's (drips) are sited, you can change a gown without disturbing it and exposing anyone with a back fastening one, once you know how! We did have some that were a sort of 'wrap over' style at the front at one point, but they seem to have been replaced. Most people wear a dressing gown to cover their exposed backs until the last possible minute, if they don't have one I just give them another gown to wear back to front.

I have no idea why you had to wear one it all you were having done were tests on your mouth, I'm sure your Consultant will be delighted to answer that one.....
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 16:28:03 »
Take in a clean towelling dressing gown (and slippers) and insist on wearing it.  I said I was cold and unless they could provide something as warm I was not going to take it off and freeze.   I was very polite and they agreed to let me wear it.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 16:59:44 »
I had my second lot of spine shots today and I commented on the room being chilly, they said I could bring in a warm clean gown if I preferred  that to the cotton thingies they gave me. I kept my bra and whatsits on though, and my white cotton socks.

When I went for boobie biopsies twice a couple of years ago I took a gown as did many folks in there. No probs.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 17:20:14 »

Why do I have to wear a hospital gown that ties up at the back, which I cannot do, so I end up walking about with my @rse hanging out.

Is it so they can take ya temperature. :o :o ;D

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 17:29:23 »
Have just been visiting our local day stay unit today. Their gowns are the hospital standard type that do up at  the back of the neck , but tie to the side so nothing is exposed. Everyone had a dressing gown and anyone who didn't was given another one to wear 'back to front' as Deb P said.    
I imagine one of  the reasons why hospital gowns tie up at the back is that they can be very easily changed if the patient is very ill, or has a drip or is unconscious.
But I can't answer why you had to wear a gown just for them to look in your mouth, Ace - it may just be that particular department's policy.

isbister

• Half Acre
  • Middlesex
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 10:21:52 »
It's not a widely known fact that the back fastening hospital gown was invented by Dr Seymour Bottoms

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2008, 10:28:06 »
Could be worse. When you go in for open heart surgery they make you tie the gowns up at the front & they don't cover as much as they should.

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2008, 10:32:15 »
Yes, it's better than wearing it the other way round & flopping your meat n' veg around the place!

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2008, 10:32:36 »
You are very lucky to get ones that tie at the back. I have had one that the ties had fallen/been pulled off :o

Now that's a draughty experience ;D

cj :)

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2008, 10:42:29 »
it has to be said as a nurse that these gowns on very poorly patients are a god send, we can wash and change a patient with the minimum of disturbance. on a perfectly fit patient having their mouth looked at its just entertainment for the staff lol  :o only kidding, we do have a lot that go over the head with a flap that can be pulled apart if access is needed but keeps your butt covered. Ace dont stop making the nurses smile it makes our day, more the better when the guy in it is a lovely fit marine mmmmmmm  ;D

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2008, 12:04:03 »
Interesting that the 2 Debs are 'in the business'?

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2008, 15:51:15 »
I had an x-ray of my spine recently and had to walk through part of the waiting room in one. I wasn't expecting that. I had to hold it together with my arms behind my back.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2008, 18:00:06 »
Treated like sheep.

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2008, 12:32:16 »
Dr Seymour Bottoms! brilliant!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal