Author Topic: Potting on cuttings  (Read 1569 times)

chickadoodle

• Quarter Acre
  • Holder of the national collection of weeds!!
Potting on cuttings
« on: February 28, 2008, 18:52:19 »
Last year I successfully rooted several cuttings - fuchsia, potentilla, daphne and many others.  I suppose I should wait but I'm getting impatient to pot them on, especially when the weather has been so nice.  The fuchsias are now starting to shoot so they have survived so far.  They are in a greenhouse but it is not heated and on a cold night they get covered over with fleece.  Do you think it would be ok to pot them on now or should I wait until perhaps the middle of next month.

I'm in the South by the way.

springbok

• Hectare
Re: Potting on cuttings
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 18:55:24 »
I put my fuschia's in the ground.  They were budding too, and are doing fine. 
I have only had one week of frosts, and they seemed to have survived through it.
I am just north of london.

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 14:53:38 »
Can you see the roots beginning to show if you look under the pot?

Mine are on a heated sand-bench in a heated & insulated greenhouse. I've finished the pelargoniums, and they are happily sitting in 3" pots on a bench in the GH. I've started on the fuchsias and they were fine. The only reason I haven't finished is lack of time this year; normally I would expect to have finished by now, as I need the heated bench for pushing on with the petunias & things.

If you're dubious about it, try a few and see how they cope.

chickadoodle

• Quarter Acre
  • Holder of the national collection of weeds!!
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 16:57:11 »
Hello Trevor.  Some have roots coming through but not all of them.   Maybe I could pot those up although looking at next weeks weather forecast I might not even brave it out there myself! Ok I'm a softy Southerner!  I would love a heated bench to help them on their way. Do you use it for shrub cuttings as well.

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 17:03:19 »
Don't do shrub cuttings, but yes, I would if I did.

And if it's too cold to work in the greenhouse, you must have a kitchen somewhere in your house. (It's probably got running water & a radio as well - just what a well-equipped potting-shed needs!)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal