Author Topic: book recommendations  (Read 2289 times)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
book recommendations
« on: July 12, 2004, 17:04:57 »
Can you recommend a couple of good books to identify native birds, butterflies (and caterpillars) and insects/creepy crawlies?

Must be not too expensive and heavily illustrated. And preferably with info on their habitat and diet so I can incourage in those that I want to help me rid my garden of pests!
gone to pot :D

William O

• Half Acre
Re:book recommendations
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2004, 17:47:55 »
Happy Gardening

eileen

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re:book recommendations
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2004, 19:15:17 »
Hi there,

I've got a Collins complete guide to British Wildlife by N. Arlott, R. Fitter and A. Fitter with over 1500 species illustrated in it in full colour. Also have a field guide to Birds of Britain and Northern Europe  with over 700 illustrations, once again in colour, of more than 300 species. Then there's the Collins Nature guide to Butterflies and Moths by H. Hofmann & T. Marktanner coloured illustations  yet again.

All of these books I find extremely helpful as they have lots of additional information in them that is useful to both the expert and the beginner.

Maybe you could check them out at your local bookshop first before buying them. Sorry but I don't know of a comprehensive book which covers everything you need.

Eileen.

P.S.
Just had a thought, you could always try a library and see what they have. It wouldn't cost you anything and you could decide at your leisure which book or books are for you rather than buy and be disappointed with what you purchase.

Hope you find what you're looking for.

Eileen.

EILEEN.

Life is like nectar sweet but sometimes sticky.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal