Author Topic: Butternut  (Read 738 times)

caseylee

• Hectare
Butternut
« on: February 16, 2008, 20:22:41 »
How hard are butternut squash to grow, and how do they grow do I have to train them or do they just liek to explore, also can I plant them in a pot.  I have checked my growing book but it does not answer these questions

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
Re: Butternut
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 20:36:47 »
They are easy enough to grow but can be finicky with the weather. Seedlings need to be started and grown on a bit under cover until sunny weather is here to stay then plant out in the ground and let them run where they fancy. Stems can be gently lifted and turned if they start intruding on other crops. Usually late setting fruit so a warm autumn is required.

Can be trained up sticks but its more work. As for pots, they may dry out too quick.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 20:46:27 »
Caseylee, they are not hard to grow, they like sun, dislike damp and cold. Don't plant them too early, ideally in well manured soil. They  just like to wander if they are the vining types but there are one or two more compact bush types that don't wander so much. Re planting in a pot, the short answer is yes, but don't if you don't have to.They will then needing training up a trellis and they need a big pot, it also depends on the variety of butternut, you will also need to give the fruit some support if you grow them vertically, you can grow in a pot and let them wander over the ground but you are not really gaining anything unless you are short of space and allow the potted plant to cross the lawn. You will have to feed and water often in a pot too. Some of the much smaller squash are better for this, but it can be done.

If you can tell me which variety of butternut you have I can advise you better.

Squash are not always in the gardening books as they are still fairly newish to the UK and there is not too much info in the books usually although I am very pleased to add they are gaining in popularity all the time and fast too, there are a lot of squash growers on A4A.

XX Jeannine

When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

leiden64

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2008, 21:34:15 »
Hi, I've tried growing butternut squashes for the past 3 years and it's been a bit hit and miss. The seeds germinated fine, but for the first 2 years the plants didn't much thrive in the garden and I didn't get any 'fruit'. They seem to be very hungry plants and need lots of water and organic matter and a long summer. Last year had more success, but still only a couple of 'fruits', which I had to bring inside to ripen. However I think these things are always worth a try - give it a go!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2008, 21:40:30 »
Hi, I grow a great many different squash  varieties and usually don't have any problems unless I am growing some of the very long season ones and the weather is against me.

Funnilly enough I don't grow regular butternuts as thay are not my favourites for taste although I do have a few more decorative ones.

I have noticed on my lottie that many folks put them out far too small.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal