Author Topic: Swallows  (Read 2500 times)

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
Swallows
« on: July 08, 2004, 19:49:52 »
I have been enjoying watching Swallows recently which have again decided to nest under the eaves of my house.  She sat on the eggs for about 3 weeks and for the past fortnight has been busy with her mate feeding the fledglings.  We have five young in the nest and now they are just about ready to leave.  They are so cute.  I can't help looking at them everytime I go outside.  They have such lovely little faces and they are almost falling out the nest now.  In the next couple of days theywill be leaving us.  They have a couple of months to strengthen their wings before they leave for the warmer climates.  It is a miracle how some of them make it.  Good luck to them, but at the moment they are a delight to me.

Spurdie

• Acre
Re:Swallows
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2004, 09:54:10 »
Hi, Carol  :)
Yes, isn't nature wonderful! I love to hear swallows twittering on the telephone wires outside our house. We have 2 families of swifts nesting under the eaves of our house. They are spectacular fliers and we really look forward to when they arrive - it feels as if summer is just around the corner!

feet of clay

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2004, 15:01:22 »
I've got house martins under the eaves. Three nests and still with chicks.  I hear them chirruping away - especially on the 11pm dogwalk when everywhere is quiet(ish).  It's such a lovely feeling knowing they are there.

Carol

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2004, 15:58:29 »
My 'bairns' left yesterday Fri.  I was out before I was awake and there was 2 sitting on the rhones just above the nest.  During the course of the day the rest joined them and they were gone by tea time.  They are now flying around this area, good luck to the little darlings, they are soo sweet.   Am soft I know, but I do not care.

the next 'bairn' is a Woodpigeon.  Mrs Woody has been sitting in the weeping pear for weeks now. I look forward to see what she produces.  A Hen??   I have never seen a baby Woodpigeon.

Carol

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2004, 14:13:11 »
Week Later. ::) ::)

Well my little friends are back again and going through the mating process and clearing up the nest and it seems that they are going to start all over again.  So, I have the rest of the ?Summer? 8) 8)
to watch another brood.  They are lovely.

At least they are better than the Woodpigeons, the young look quite pre-historic.

Spurdie

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2004, 19:02:22 »
Hi Carol  :D

Had to laugh at your comment about young wood pigeons!
How often have we peered into a pram and saw the most monkey-like of babies and then said "Ah! Whit a bonnie baby! He looks jist like his faither!"

Carol

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2004, 19:21:25 »
We were talking about that the other night in 'Chat' at how you get some ugly babies and you still have to go ah isn't he/she lovely'.  Yesterday, we admired a baby in a coffee shop.  This baby was the son of a white Scots woman aged 43, who confessed he had been a mistake!!!  I asked the babies name, the baby being obviously a darker shade and looked Brazilian and the mother replied 'his name is 'Rio'.  The name conjured up all sorts in my brain.  He was a lovely baby though.  

Spurdie

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2004, 19:30:33 »
Oh dear!  ;D

Still it is pointless calling him Cedric if he turns out to be a Brazilian love god!  ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal