Author Topic: Anyone up for the Okra challenge this year?  (Read 69579 times)

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re: Anyone up for the Okra challenge this year?
« Reply #160 on: May 24, 2008, 17:30:13 »
I didn`t even bother this year-I`m late enough with stuff I can grow. I sold the first tom plants from the house yesterday-about six weeks later than last year-almost exactly as long as I couldn`t walk ;)

mickb

• Not So New ...
« Reply #161 on: May 25, 2008, 18:49:44 »
I am trying several thinks to try and see what works.  I have transplanted 2 plants into soil in pots,  If anything these are doing slightly worse than the ones in compost in seed trays,

Next I have 2 seed trays on a heated propogator, these are whizzing away and have grown to 3" high with 5 leaves as opposed to the unheated ones at 2" with 3 leaves.

Today with the lousy weather I have set up 2 flourescent tubes to boost the light levels and let them think the sun is shining.

I suppose talking to them is next.

Mick B

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #162 on: May 25, 2008, 19:09:42 »
dtw,I think they need all the support they can get!

mairlottie

• Not So New ...
« Reply #163 on: May 26, 2008, 13:55:33 »
Hi everyone,
I have got a new allotment and have been left some plants by an anonymous plot holder which included a couple of okra plants, so i thought I'd check out what to do with them which led me here!! Looks like a great site for someone new at this, like me!!  :)  Anyway, they are about 8 inches with a few leaves, after reading your posts I know they have to be in greenhouse but what do i do with them? should i repot them or put them in a growbag and do they grow upwards?? how much space will they take up as i only have a small greenhouse! Any advice is appreciated!! Thanks ???

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #164 on: May 26, 2008, 18:38:54 »
Height depends on ther variety, some grow to 8 or 9 feet and some are dwarf.

They really dislike being transplanted by the way.

XX Jeannine

When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

mairlottie

• Not So New ...
« Reply #165 on: May 26, 2008, 19:31:35 »
they are only in small pots about 3- 4inch. will they be ok in these or am i already destined to lose them??  :( i see from all the posts they seem pretty difficult to grow!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #166 on: May 28, 2008, 15:41:51 »

These are heat loving plants which prefer to be direct sown into warm sopil in very warm wether.. not your typical Uk summers!!

They therefore need to be coaxed and tricked and need to be in huge pots to be able to grow but get them transplanted before they get root bound or they will sulk.

I got mine to full size last year but only managed two mature fruits per plant  which is pitiful. Mine were in five gallon pots This was in a greenhouse. They started life in a heated propergater very early, that part was easy.. then transplanted to 4 inch pots for a little while, under lights and in a heated greenhouse. They kept the  artificial heat and light heat till nature took over and finished in a greenhouse in huge pots..

I got lots of beautiful flowers but not much fruit so I still think they needed longer than I gave them, however, I have since learned that there are many different types and the short season ones are the best bet for the UK.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

mairlottie

• Not So New ...
« Reply #167 on: May 30, 2008, 15:39:06 »
Thanks Jeannine,

I'll put them in big pots and see how they go!! Hopefully I'll have some beginners luck!! :-) will let u know how i get on!

Thanks again x

Garjan

• Acre
« Reply #168 on: June 04, 2008, 12:57:52 »
My okra, both Better Five and Red Burgundy, are doing fine. OUTSIDE!  :o

I am quite amazed, as there was quite some rain and wind over here (the Netherlands). Because of the slipped disc I wasn't able to shield them, but the produced their second pair of leaves and are standing tall.
Perhaps they don't like being fussed over?

Hope they survive this summer and produce some fruits.

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #169 on: June 04, 2008, 22:06:04 »
Looked this evening and something has had two of ours, only 3 left, 2 with seed leaves and one going great guns with  5 leaves!  I think we need more sun, the last two weeks have been rather cold and extremely wet and althought they are in a plastic cold frame, it is a bit miserable for them.  Hopefully I can put them in a more protected cold frame on site this weekend. Keep your fingers crpssed for them. 

Gazfoz

• Acre
« Reply #170 on: June 04, 2008, 22:22:37 »
No Noooooooooooo!

Surely no-one else is up for the okra challenge ever ever never ever more .

You know it makes sense :)

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #171 on: June 05, 2008, 09:32:25 »
Gazfoz,looking at my pathetic plants you could be right. Lychees anyone?

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #172 on: June 05, 2008, 13:44:57 »
Mark, bet mine are more pathetic looking than yours! ;D ;D
They've not grown a cm in weeks! But I am pleased they are still alive. ;)
Now Lychees....................I love em! ;D
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

littlebabybird

• Hectare
« Reply #173 on: June 05, 2008, 19:03:13 »
if i can convince someone to take a picture of my Okra is it hard to et the pc on here?
I would love for you all to see them
lbb

mickb

• Not So New ...
« Reply #174 on: June 05, 2008, 20:34:38 »
I have mine indoors in a conservatory in 3 different situations.

1.  Transplanted into 6" pots containing garden soil.  Result is pathetic, spindly, weak plants still at 2 Cotyledons and 2 leaves the size of a 10p coin

2.  Still in the original seed tray, thinned to 1 per tray, original compost, sat permanently on a propagator maintaining 26 degrees.  Result is a lot better 5" planrs still quite spindly, 4 real leaves biggest 2" across.

3,  Transplanted from type 2,  2 weeks ago, 3 in a growbag, sat on a propagator maintaining at least 24 degrees.  Result  is better still, I transplanted them up to the cotyledons so they are 2" deeper than the others, the big ones are still 7" tall (+ the 2 " in the soil makes 9") still have 4 real leaves but they are nearly twice the size.

Conclusion must be that heat and root freedom ae the key so far.

Hopefully some full on sun over the next few weeks will pay off.

Happy growing

Mick B

littlebabybird

• Hectare
« Reply #175 on: June 11, 2008, 23:28:55 »
here is a picture as promised, i hope it works,
i wanted one with a flower but they close up at night
lbb

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
« Reply #176 on: June 12, 2008, 08:19:40 »
I sowned mine given to me by Jeannine in the greenhouse direct in the ground. They were not doing well,  alot didn't  come to anything so I thought i would move the few that did and now they are coming on ok in a a tub.

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #177 on: June 16, 2008, 10:27:30 »
We've still got three left, out of our original six planted.  They were put out in a mini-polytunnel two weeks ago, but they're still very tiny.  With luck the warmer weather will encourage them.

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #178 on: June 16, 2008, 14:48:57 »
If you want a few more plants I've got some spare. Still a bit small but growing well.

littlebabybird

• Hectare
« Reply #179 on: June 16, 2008, 16:18:26 »
ok, the plants now have quite big seed pod things on them, i assume this is what i want
when do i pick them?
i think for the chalange we needed a number of them on a plant at a time? i have several on each plant BUT
they are not at the same stage hmmm
how is every one else getting on?

lbb

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal