Author Topic: Evil windows claim new victim  (Read 2812 times)

Toots

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
Evil windows claim new victim
« on: July 07, 2004, 19:27:00 »
Aaargh! To my horror while sitting last evening heard a loud thump against the kitchen window,and knew immediately what it was.

A young female blackbird lying on the path.Looked not good and despite my best efforts died in a few minutes.

Before we got new windows had stickers on to deter birds fooled by the reflection,as we have trees and green about that makes it look like an image of woodland.

Have to try to remember where I bought em from a catalogue.Elizabeth from the Beeb Bird Forum told me originally,so can ask there,but if any of you know can you remind me please!

Toots :-[ :'(

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
Re:Evil windows claim new victim
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2004, 19:43:24 »
That would not be Eliz. Bigg from birdtalk was it Toots.  Could it have been CJWildbirdfoods?  if not, I have Elizabeths e-mail address so I could send her an e-mail for you and ask.  

I get the same problem with my conservatory doors despite pulling the blinds down.  So far, this year, touch wood no casualties.  I also have the little sparrows flying right into the conservatory and spending a while in there or I let them out.  Again, not this year yet because the weather has been too inclement to leave the door open.

Let meknow Toots.

Carol

Toots

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2004, 19:59:22 »
Hi Carol,

Yes I think it is ,she has a super bird cam!

The firm could indeed be CJWildbirdfoods,so I will pursue that and let you know.

Yes,have had a few,and usually I rescue,to make sure safe from our lazy cats,and they fly off and recover.Had a spectacular when a thingy pheasant flew straight into the patio doors and left a clear and stunning (in every sense!) impression on the glass.

That is interesting! It won't let me say "male hen".Ahem!!
A bit of a loss on a bird discussion,gender bias here!

After that I posted and got the name from Elizabeth.

Thanks a lot Carol! Will keep in touch.The stickers do work as long as you put them on the outside and the window cleaner does not take to peeling them off and flinging them about the garden! >:( ;D :D ;D ::)

gardenqueen

• Acre
  • Love to garden.
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2004, 20:22:12 »
The RSPB might be able to help, but I am pretty sure, that like Carol,  they are available at C.J.Wildbird Foods

Toots

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2004, 20:26:38 »
Thanks Garden Queen,will try them.I got the bird silhouettes and the spider's web last time.

The only one still here is the spider's web as it does not tear when you move it.It is dearer but better value!Toots ;D

Granny_Smith

• Half Acre
  • Of course its me - who else could look like this ?
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2004, 08:08:26 »
Sorry about the poor blackbird. While waiting, try making some yourself which will be much cheaper and easy to replace. All my large windows have paper 'snowflake' shapes stuck on them. Keeps the birds away from the glass and the grandchildren love making them.
Granny is still your best friend !

Plocket

• Hectare
  • Clematis Crystal Fountain
    • Plocket's Clematis Site
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2004, 11:04:34 »
I've decorated my patio doors with peel on peel off "stained glass" butterflies. Most craft shops sell the paint, and you can do any shape you want. Draw a shape with "outline" paint and fill with any colour you fancy! They look really bright and cheerful
The tree which moves some to tears of joy is in the eyes of others only a green thing which stands in the way... (William Blake)

Toots

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2004, 07:10:01 »
Thanks folks for these suggestions.I will have a go at the old hand crafts.

I am not a very crafty person or known for my neatness but I imagine the birds won't really mind. :) ;)

Plocket

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2004, 08:39:17 »
A new challenge hey? Just enjoy yourself! And as you say, the birds won't mind!
The tree which moves some to tears of joy is in the eyes of others only a green thing which stands in the way... (William Blake)

Toots

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2004, 18:42:33 »
Er,yes ahem,well I've painstakingly hand crafted one manually myself,no labour spared,out of a tissue packet top.

Ahem,I thought I could make it look like a wee flying saucer,but then again,maybe birds are not afraid of aliens and their craft? ??? ::)

Oops! They may flock to watch this strange craft land,which it can't,and then blooter themselves  on the window flying off in boredom. :'(

Plocket

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2004, 19:13:56 »
You went for the re-cycling/cheap option. As long as it does the trick that is all that matters.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal