Author Topic: we've started the leaf collection again  (Read 5761 times)

Kea

• Hectare
Re: we've started the leaf collection again
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2007, 15:39:31 »
Technically the leaves have been thrown away by the owner (tree).

tabbycat

• Half Acre
  • Woking, Surrey
« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2007, 16:36:45 »
They're probably getting huffy about "their" leaves because they sell the green waste on to a subcontractor who then makes compost from it which the taxpayers (and leaf providers) then have the pleasure of BUYING back from said contractor!

That's what happens in our part of Surrey anyway - the council are robbing g*ts! >:(

Tabby

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2007, 18:19:58 »
Does your Council make a profit then or does the money they make from selling the green waste for compost mean better local services or lower Council Tax?
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

tabbycat

• Half Acre
  • Woking, Surrey
« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2007, 21:31:44 »
Does your Council make a profit then or does the money they make from selling the green waste for compost mean better local services or lower Council Tax?

Good question - don't know if the council make a profit. The compost is sold by an independent company who have already been paid by the council to collect the leaves - I don't know if the council then receives any money from the sale of it. I'm going to email them and find out.

If they put the money back into providing a better service for us, then I'd be happy with that, but at the moment they're not doing much to convince me - we've gone onto fortnightly bin collections (like much of the country), they've just decided to charge disabled drivers for parking, cut the amount of time the disabled swimming club can use the pool as they don't pay full price for using it and spent millions of pounds refurbishing the town's car parks installing a new pay-as-you-go ticket system which will enable them to not only put up the price of parking, but will earn them more money.

We're having hundreds more flats built across the town to meet the housing targets and no new infrastructure provided for the rise in population. Our schools are massively over - subscribed and they're still trying to close two of them!

As for council tax - it's ruinous and each year we seem to get less and less for it.

Sorry - this thread was about the joys of leaf collecting - I'll stop ranting now. If it wasn't dark outside, I'd go and rake some up to calm down! ;D

Tabby

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2007, 23:07:32 »
I was in Brent!!

Then they were my leaves. 8)

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2007, 09:48:07 »
I've just helped myself to 5 bags from the strip of land with trees on down the side of our town carpark. With the help of teenage son so we did it 4-30pm on Sunday when it was quiet so his friends wouldn't see him! On Monday you couldn't even see where we'd been there are still so many!

Pesky Wabbit

• Hectare
  • Where's my(palm oil free)KRAFT choclit Easter Egg?
« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2007, 19:23:44 »
Yesterday I was told off by the street sweeper for stealing that council's leaves!

Try 'harvesting' before 9:30,or after 15:30,  its rare to find anyone from the council outside these hours. 

powerspade

« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2007, 22:21:57 »
Wow! someone has a street cleaner, lucky you, we havent had our street swept with a brush since Mr Baulch retired in 1966. A fella come on a machine once every 3 weeks and nips down one side of the road doing at least 30 mph and thats it.

Riffster

• Half Acre
  • Chief Wormer
« Reply #48 on: November 01, 2007, 10:26:39 »
powerspade,  I have a very vivid image in my mind of    "Mr Baulch,  the road sweeper" - The lovely old man,  back there in 1966,   - no job was ever to much for Mr Baulch.   He'd take great care,  always a wave and a smile.  he'd make sure your gate was closed.  Tidied away something into your garden,  aways neat.   

Everyone respected him.

- But, I've never been to your town !

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #49 on: November 02, 2007, 12:45:10 »
went to the plot today, after 2 days away and a friendly person from the bowlers has filled his trolley for us with leaves  ;D

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2007, 22:14:49 »
Our council drops their leaves off at our site for us. Not got any chickenwire though  :-[
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2007, 12:25:52 »
we've got ours in a dalek composter  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal