Author Topic: Too chilly for chillies?  (Read 1282 times)

twinkletoes

• Hectare
Too chilly for chillies?
« on: September 27, 2007, 08:05:54 »
Is it time to dig up the chillies on the lottie?   Is it getting too cold for them?  I don't want to lose the fruit I have on them but I was hoping they might turn red.   Should I dig them up - roots and all - and hang them in the greenhouse or garage?  Or could I just put fleece over them?  Also, I have some Twilight chillie - little bulb-like fruits growing upwards - they are quite purple in colour .... is it time to harvest them?  I also have some at home in a growbag but these fruits are a creamy white colour.   First time (you'd never guess  :)) I have grown chillies.   ;D

Twinkletoes

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
Re: Too chilly for chillies?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 08:23:24 »
I tried fleece on my chillies up at the allotment last winter - they died!

isbister

• Half Acre
  • Middlesex
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 08:27:59 »
I've also got 3 chillies (jalapenos) with unripe fruit ( I know I should have picked them green, now they're purple). I've read somewhere they can be potted up and overwintered somewhere warmish. Question is should I pick fruit or leave it on?

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 08:28:32 »
If you dig them up and hang them up in the G'house they should continue to ripen twinkletoes... I'm impressed you've grown them outside... mine are in the poly.
 ;D

twinkletoes

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 08:36:06 »
Saddad you have made my day  ;D ;D ;D   The plants are not huge but bear plenty of fruit (well I think there are plenty) for the size of the plants.  It might be that because I am based in Kent (Stone) we are a bit more lucky with the weather so they have survived/thrived?  I am tempted to dig up and hang in the greenhouse at the weekend - I would hate to lose them now to the weather.

Isbister - I'll pick mine from the lottie and hang them in the greenhouse if you do..... ;)   Might try overwintering the ones in the growbags in the greenhouse - but they are much bigger than the ones on the lottie.

Twinkletoes

RosieMcPosie

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007, 08:58:18 »
twinkle toes- i ahve peppers and chillies outside too, not sure which varieties  :-\ not very good at that sort of thing! didn't know you could opverwinter them, have them in pots at home. might try sticking them in greenhouse.

very happy that they have started to ripen- i have some small dark green ones which i have 2 red ones on the plant now and a few in betweeny- coloured ones!
i have some long light green ones which have black streaks on- i guess they're ripening as well!
proud owner of a lottie since August 2007!

twinkletoes

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2007, 09:01:46 »
You lucky thing RosieMcPosie.   I cannot wait to see red chillies on my plants - they are very dark green/black at present.   I suppose nothing will be lost if we try to overwinter the plants - they will either survive and thrive or die!  Are you going to take the red chillies off as they turn red or will you wait until they have all gone red? 

Twinkletoes

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2007, 10:08:45 »
I'm going to bring some of my greenhouse peppers into the house to try & hasten ripening (two kids away at uni has it's uses!)

twinkletoes

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2007, 10:27:22 »
Here we go again - showing my ignorance  :-[   Could I/should I dig up the pepper plants from the lottie (they are not that big) and put them in flower pots and take them into the house (if the greenhouse is not going to be warm enough)?   And the chillies too?

Twinkletoes

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2007, 10:37:19 »
Chillies? I'm not keen on the hanging indoors thing. I reckon they shrivel before they ripen.

Peppers? I'm still expecting mine to ripen more in the cold 'house. And cold it is!!

Outdoors? Pretty doubtful. Move indoors without root disturbance? Sounds worthwhile?

twinkletoes

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2007, 10:55:38 »
Thanks Tim.  That's my job for Saturday morning then - dig up the plants with minimal root disturbance, pot up and move indoors.  Wouldn't want to have the chillies/peppers shrivel up so won't hang them in the greenhouse. 

Twinkletoes

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2007, 11:16:05 »
I've had my chilli plant for 4 years.  Move it in in the winter and out during the summer. It's in a big pot. Thought it was a gonna this year as it suffered a heavy red spider mite attack. I cut it back very severely until it looked just like a mini tree stump. It came back in very healthy condition and is covered in chillis.

I heard or read somewhere that if you treat your chilli plants mean it intensifies the heat.  ???

Have 2 Thai Dragon and 2 Pinochio's Nose chilli plants which I sowed very late on in the season. They are only just beginning to produce chillis.  I'm putting them on to the siting room windowsill. Chillis for Christmas I reckon! Looks festive too  :)  I'm training one into a standard...just for my own amusement .

Ooh I forgot I have a fruit n spice one in the house too and four of them outside in the allotment and two in the poly tunnel. They did very well outside.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 11:17:39 by Heldi »

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2007, 11:44:07 »
I have three japapeno chillies in an old washtub next to my lottie shed, which I put in there when they grew too tall to go on my little lottie greenhouse staging. To my suprise they are ripening! They are in a pretty sheltered spot, I might just chance it...or I could move the whole thing inside the greenhouse and keep it on the floor.....hmmmmm, I'll have a look this afternoon.... :-\
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

RosieMcPosie

• Acre
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2007, 12:36:04 »
TIM(or anyone really)- mine are in pots- do u think i should bring them in the house or just in my green house?
will they over winter? only sowed them this summer- juneish time.
will my chillies ripen? what about my peppers?
or is it just better to eat them green?

Phil

• Not So New ...
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2007, 12:47:13 »
I too bring my chili plant in the house and put it in the kitchen or bathroom window - it will celebrate its 2nd birthday next spring!  The green ones soon turn red so I have a continuous supply of red and green chilis from just one plant in a 10" pot!

I intend to bring my sweet peppers in the house this winter too, to see how they get on.

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2007, 14:32:27 »
Now I have a problem !!  :-X  All mine are still in the greenhouse ... and if I am to keep them there will be no room for anything else!! 

3 alma parika, 4 jimmy nardellos, 4 heatwave, 5 fish and 5 jalepenos!!

I like the varigated foliage on the fish ... very pretty!  But all too big for the bathroom windowcill !!!  :-\
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

RosieMcPosie

• Acre
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2007, 14:37:21 »
WOULD BE HAPPY TO TAKE THEM OFF YOUR HANDS FLOWER LADY... ;)
YOU CAN NEVER HAVE TOO MANY CHILLIES, U LUCKY LUCKY THING!
XX ROSIE

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2007, 14:47:00 »
When you are passing come an pick up a plant!  ;)
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2007, 10:48:29 »
Rosie why don't you hedge your bets if you have one than one plant of the same varieties?  Try some indoors and some in the greenhouse to see how they get on? I'm going to leave the two in the polytunnel as I have one of the same back at home. I generally keep them in the conservatory...it gets very cold overnight sometimes.

Flowerlady...I've not ever heard of "fish". What does it look and taste like?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal