Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 894176 times)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #6180 on: July 29, 2012, 22:41:29 »
Well last week i sprayed the couch grass in my front garden and gradually over this week its all died and some new growth has popped up so i have filled a large brown bag of grass and will be spraying again next week.

I have to get the plants for the front garden i have been through the effort of designing and ordering all the plants TWICE the 1st time they all arrived dead and the 2nd they canceled the order so this time i am going to go to a local garden centre and just take pot luck bring it back and plant it straight away!!

Knee has been quite sore so not driving at the moment so will have to see if husband will take me :)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #6181 on: July 30, 2012, 05:11:10 »
Dug up more Spuds yesterday and cut back halums, harvested the last of the Red Winter Onions and Shallots.    ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

elhuerto

• Acre
« Reply #6182 on: July 30, 2012, 12:30:10 »
Spent a lot of time repairing the polytunnel cover - seems it's stretched a lot and small holes appearing all over the place. Should last til the end of the season but will need to put some thought into what to do next year as I don't want to be replacing it annually.

Mulched the toms and melons again.
Location: North East Spain - freezing cold winters, boiling hot summers with a bit of fog in between.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #6183 on: July 30, 2012, 18:03:31 »
Picked my first French beans at last! About 6 of them! Also  raspberries, courgettes, broad beans, spuds, carrots and rhubarb. Strimmed. Cut down 2 barrow-loads of comfrey.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6184 on: July 30, 2012, 19:41:31 »
Torrential showers ths morning, but it cleared up later, and I managed to finish the hedge on one side of the plot. Just the other side to do now!

100mph

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6185 on: July 30, 2012, 21:48:20 »
Today I managed 160' of path edging, pulled out any horsetail that dared show its head since yesterday, dug and cleared 3 rows in my new plotshare, fixed up a brassica tunnel that had collapsed on a neighbours plot, brewed up and found time for a chat and manged to not quite leave early enough to avoid a soaking on my cycle home.
My Suffolk allotment is a fine example of 'how not to do it'.
Muddling through with excessive effort for minimal return from 4 rods since 2008.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #6186 on: July 30, 2012, 23:05:54 »
Planted out some Witloof Chicory from pots, sprayed the GH with fungicide (argh... blight) stopped an assortment of climbing beans and noted that I have a picking of CObras ready for tomorrow....

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #6187 on: July 30, 2012, 23:52:22 »
Planted PSB, cauliflower and sprout seedlings under the brassica net cage, and watered the sun baked clay earth! Going to be a heavy job getting up the Desiree and Cara potatoes, even though they have a spent hop mulch.

Might have escaped the blight with the bigger tomato plants, having stripped them of most of their lower leaves earlier, fingers crossed.

The grass seed on the lawn has come up and is looking very lush, it was where we had a huge moss problem in the spring, who said grass seed doesn't germinate in summertime.

I love cats, but have a problem with one who will insist on depositing on the new grass, and found a dead goldfish on the front lawn. That will teach me to keep the pond clear of algae with watercress, sitting targets for the cats!

Cleared my Mum's old garden at the weekend, last time we visited was October and it was all bramble and bindweed, now it's ground elder! Hubby and I spent 10 hours on Saturday, his day off from umpiring, clearing it and, bless him, he didn't cave in.

Picked first of the french beans for supper and noticed the sweetcorn is taller than me now so here's hoping.  :)

Ninny

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #6188 on: July 31, 2012, 10:14:04 »
Sounds good Ninny!

In the evening I pushed the mower to the plot (again!) and cut the paths, cleared the broadbean patch, lifted some onions, watered leeks and wallflowers......

(Being retired I really should have more time for the plot but everyday it's a squeeze to find a gap when I can escape)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #6189 on: July 31, 2012, 13:44:31 »
Nothing today, processing everything we picked yesterday  :o
Making cheese sauce to freeze with calabrese, chopping runners and freezing, chopping up discovery windfalls to freeze for juice, washing the 60 lbs of nadine spuds we dug up yesterday, new to us and prolofic  ;D

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #6190 on: July 31, 2012, 14:16:45 »
Managed a couple of hours between the rain.  It was out with the old and in with the new.  Dug up a couple of half buckets of spuds and replaced them with carrots. beetroot and green salady things.  Carrots adelaide which says sow until august and nantes which says July so I am sort of stretching that one.   

Sowed lettuce, Salald niche mixed and wrinkle crinkle cress.

Was pleased that yesterday I had  scattered slug pellets on previous carrot sowing , seedling were showing in force this morning as were 9 huge slugs and at least 15 small ones who I suspect would have hooved them off without trace.   

Found a large dog poo in my leek bed.  Yuk

One patch of sweetcorn locking promising has tassles most of the plants are having twins.
Another patch has males so hopefully the ladies with appear soon.

Brassicas planted out last week loved the rain.

100mph

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6191 on: July 31, 2012, 22:37:51 »
More pulling out of any horsetail that dared show its head overnight, some hand weeding, dodged some rain showers by disappearing into my shed to brew up. More digging on my new plotshare and caught up with field gossip and politics.
Muddling through with excessive effort for minimal return from 4 rods since 2008.

gibbonfunky

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6192 on: July 31, 2012, 22:48:41 »
Removed horsetail also. Clearing plot of grass and weeds ready for mulching. bit of pruning. Got wet.
Good fun though

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #6193 on: August 01, 2012, 11:16:01 »
Not alot so far but .....Weeded the veg plot out back.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #6194 on: August 01, 2012, 15:44:38 »
Sowed more mixed leaves, radish and spring onions, picked some runners, a yellow courgette, big beetroot, lettuce, cucumbers, springys and cherry toms  ;D
All the leeks safely planted now, 60 lbs of nadine spuds from a 12x4 bed. They got blighted so we cut the tops off at the first sign so they've been ok

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #6195 on: August 02, 2012, 12:02:26 »
So far.........Opened the greenhouses and watched the rain bounce off the roof!

100mph

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6196 on: August 02, 2012, 22:04:40 »
Horsetail patrol pulling out as much as possible of any that dares raise its head, turned two compost heaps, weeding around the cucumbers, put air into the wheelbarrow tyre,  dug more of my new plotshare. Also found time for a social mug of tea. Homeward bound in the dark again.

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #6197 on: August 03, 2012, 22:48:24 »
Planted the last of the annuals from the front garden sale that didn't go, deadheaded evening primroses every morning this week, and had a weed around the pond border. Spotted some dragonfly cases that had crisped up so we still have larvae in the pond. I just wish I knew what time of day they climbed up the iris or reeds to film one hatching on the camera.

Ninny

steve76

• Acre
« Reply #6198 on: August 03, 2012, 23:41:31 »
Pulled up the rest of the garlic,onions and shallots then dug the ground over, pulled up 2 row's of beetroot then dug that over and then dug up the rest of the 1st earls and  dug over that bit and then weeded the rest of the the plot!!!!!   and loved the whole day being up there+ watering the greenhouses.... ;D ;D

100mph

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6199 on: August 04, 2012, 00:49:48 »
Mowed the paths then mulched beans and cucumbers. Hoed with some vigour. Drank tea. More digging of the new plotshare - past the halfway mark now. Found time for tea and conversation as the sun set and darkness fell.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal