Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 882732 times)

hopalong

• Hectare
  • East Finchley, North London
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #2480 on: May 31, 2009, 21:39:34 »
Showed my friend Sue around the site - she was jealous! Weeded and watered. Finished putting tomato plants in ring culture pots embedded in gravel in old cold frame; pinched out side shoots. Squished some asparagus beetles, caught while they were bonking away merrily. Started sumer runing grapevines. Harvested some more rhubarb (and made a rhubarb fool - delicious!). Resisted the temptation to pick some strawberries which are just about ripe - will wait till we've got enough for a bowl or two, which will be very soon now. Had a grumble about an allotment neighbour who has done nothing to his plot for months - not fair on all the people on the waiting list.
Keep Calm and Carry On

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2481 on: May 31, 2009, 22:47:48 »
Half planted my squash bed... 10 courgettes, 2 shark's fin and 10 others... 16 still to do. Spent three hours watering... roll on that sale!  :)

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #2482 on: June 01, 2009, 19:32:29 »
Weeded, weeded and weeded again. watered..Went home to do some gardening there. neverending ain't it
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #2483 on: June 01, 2009, 20:53:12 »
Sowed sweetcorn direct.
Planted some sweetcorn plants that old Sid gave me. (cheers Sid)  :-*
Planted 3 cucumber plants.
Planted out celeriac.
Weeded & watered.
 ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #2484 on: June 01, 2009, 21:34:41 »
went to the lotty on sunday with the plan of planting some spuds and found that the whole plot is covered with 4 ft high grass. It was easy to pull out so started to clear the potato beds i had prepared 2ft in i found my eyes starting to run and i started sneezing then i had a alergic reaction to something.
Face, arms and legs all started to swell like i had hives. And ended up in A&E.

No idea what cant just be grass polin anyone have any ideas????

Got nothing done :(

hopalong

• Hectare
  • East Finchley, North London
« Reply #2485 on: June 02, 2009, 00:00:06 »
Watered, watered, watered. Picked some rusty leaves off the broad beans. Also visited a friend's plot at Clay Hill, Enfield, where everything seems to be growing strongly.  Despite its name, the soil looks quite light and carrots do very well there. Lots of free manure and compost is available. Green with envy. ::)
Keep Calm and Carry On

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #2486 on: June 02, 2009, 17:30:11 »
Harvested spuds.
Planted cucumber plant that old Sid gave me.
 ( he's alright that Sid )
Watered.
 ;D ;D ;D

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #2487 on: June 02, 2009, 18:55:02 »
Went to look at a GH today. A freebie. It has brambles growing inside and outside of it. Chappie said that we can have anything that we want from inside it.  Did see some staging. We are going on Thursday to dismantle it. Will take the camera with me.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2488 on: June 02, 2009, 19:12:39 »
Two School visits... 55 infants planting French Beans... watering, potting on. Going to go down and finish the squash bed...  :)

flossy

• Hectare
« Reply #2489 on: June 02, 2009, 19:28:17 »

cambourne 7 are you OK now ?

Whew, that must have been a moment, what did they say at A& E ?

Sounds like an allergy but you need to know so as you can have some sort of medics at

the ready in case it happened again, do let us know how you got on,

floss xxx
Hertfordshire,   south east England

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2490 on: June 02, 2009, 19:35:55 »
good grief, cam, only just seen it..what did the doc say?
nice to see you back, hope you're feeling better  :)

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #2491 on: June 02, 2009, 22:16:57 »
thanks guys, much better now the doc is not sure what it was i was wearing sangles and long trousers but it was only my knees that got it and my arms are scratched to buggery but other than that the welling has gone down. Never had anything like that happen before and it was a little scary.

I called the parish and the people who own the medow next to the plot to find out if anything has been sprayed funny no one has called me back. One of the parish councilors said i had to pay to have my plot strimmed down i suggested that the parish doing it might be less that 50 trips to A&E as thats how many trips i am going to need give the small but i actualy cleared :(

Worked 3/4 of a day today and am taking it very very easy. As its unlikly i am going to get the spuds planted i am going with plan 'b' and going to get some black sacks and 1/2 fill with soil and plant them up insead :(

flossy

• Hectare
« Reply #2492 on: June 03, 2009, 06:43:10 »

Hi cam, do hope you're feeling better today  -- can you cover the area over until

it all dies off ?      Good luck with plan b.     Hope it wasn't anything nasty like chems!

Take care,

floss xxx
Hertfordshire,   south east England

lavenderlux

• Acre
« Reply #2493 on: June 03, 2009, 07:26:41 »
Had a visit by 30 year 4 school children to their plot (years 2-6 visit in turn on Tuesday mornings).  Split them into two groups one working on their plot and we planted out squashes and lettuce plants and also did weeding and watering, they also harvested radishes.  The other group had a work sheet to look for certain things in our wildlife area, then they swapped over.  They also brought their packed lunches with them to stayed for a picnic.  They have only had their plot since the beginning of April and they are doing really well.

daileg

• Hectare
« Reply #2494 on: June 03, 2009, 08:25:20 »
well yesterday i planted out my marrows and the rest of the mixed leaves planted out the peas and watered my beans on the plot.
in the garden i managed to get hold of some floweres from my next door neighbour she doesnt know what they are as she has never seen them she cleared the area last year this year they had grown there, there red stemed tall thin with a cluster of lovelly red crimson cluster upward like flowers simular to lupins but not as dense any ideas welcome 

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #2495 on: June 03, 2009, 10:47:25 »
thanks guys found out the wildlife trust had been spraying something with Clopyralid in.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clopyralid

They claimed it was safe and they spray without protective gear?

|The parish are going to strim the plot for me so i can clear out any plants i want and hand it back in 6 to 8 weeks time.

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #2496 on: June 03, 2009, 18:24:18 »
Pulled a few Beetroot, carrots, radish and lettuce, watered the toms now off for four days fishing, :)

electric landlady

• Half Acre
  • digging, digging, digging (in Nottingham)
« Reply #2497 on: June 03, 2009, 20:01:35 »
Spent all weekend down there, weeded, strimmed, trimmed hedge, planted out sweetcorn and tomatoes, sowed peas and french beans, watered, fed things, earthed up spuds, thinned out carrots, admired tiny baby lettuces chard and beetroot, sat in the sun drinking tea! Had a lovely time.

After 2 years of allotmenting in the wind and rain it's so nice to get a break and to finally find out what it's all about! I think this is the first time ever I've actually had to water things! Everything is growing soooo fast! Please let this summer be decent weather  8)

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #2498 on: June 03, 2009, 20:49:58 »
Weeded sprouts and watered.  ;D ;D ;D

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #2499 on: June 03, 2009, 23:16:32 »
yesterday i planted out the remainder of my brassicus plants.

today i mainly harvested a large amount of oregano and put it to hang under an open paper bag to dry.

i also cut all my chives back, scissored them into usable pieces, put the lot into a freezer bag and put them into the freezer.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal