Author Topic: Shameless Second Call for Local Allotment Histories  (Read 2877 times)

BAK

• Wiki Editor
  • Hectare
    • BK - This and That
Shameless Second Call for Local Allotment Histories
« on: September 11, 2007, 19:10:04 »
I originally mentioned back in the spring that I had added a section to the A4A wiki on the "History of Allotments". It included a section on local allotment histories, principally containing links to a number that I had managed to locate on the Internet. There are now 10 links, the latest one being for St. Ann's Nottingham.

http://www.staa-allotments.org.uk/heritage/history.htm

I thought that the imminent end of the main growing season is a good time to remind plot holders that more local histories would help to give us a greater understanding of the allotment movement and its social context. Have a squint at all the current links.

Why not consider writing a history of your site? The majority of sites usually have at least one or two individuals who are interested in history. It can make for a useful and interesting winter project when there is not much to do on the plot.

When you have written it then add it to the links in the wiki article. If you are not comfortable doing this then let me have the info and I will add it for you. If you do not have a place on the web to put your article then I will happily host it for you, even if only as a temporary measure.

Yours shamelessly,

BAK

PS I will be keeping my beady eye on those individuals (you know who you are!) who previously mentioned that they really ought to put pen to paper - the time for excuses is over!!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Shameless Second Call for Local Allotment Histories
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 13:21:28 »
That site was well worth a read... ours follows a similar outline from a 1920's start..
Might ask the committee tonight if they have any objection to a small contribution.
 ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 14:02:15 »
That's interesting; I knew vaguely about St. Ann's as it has a similar origin to the Guinea Gardens here, but I'd never seen anything written about it. I do have some stuff on Guinea Gardens history, and there was more at the site, but I haven't seen that since the chaos when there was a change of regime a couple of years ago.

BAK

• Wiki Editor
  • Hectare
    • BK - This and That
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007, 11:33:40 »
fyi - 3 more links to local histories added to the wiki page on the History of Allotments .. Anstey, Horfield & District and Rippingale.

http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php?page=9

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2007, 22:41:10 »
I've let myself in for rewriting the history of my site; I'll upload it when I'm done. It may be a while though; I had hoped to do it over Christmas, but my sister in law died on Sunday and Namissa's in a state.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal