Author Topic: A Shocking Waste!  (Read 1978 times)

Smileyk

• Quarter Acre
A Shocking Waste!
« on: August 21, 2007, 21:47:37 »
Dh popped to the allotment tonight and was chatting to one of the old blokes there.   He was fuming and told dh about one of the other plots.  It's run by a young guy who is off to university this year.  He dug lots of stuff up (beetroot, cabbage etc.) and tried to BURN IT!!!!!!!!  Obviously he didn't want it but why waste it????  ::)  Honestly.

Earlier in the year this old guy told the young lad that his beetroot were ready, so the young lad dug a few up and left the rest - apparently they are close to football size now and apparently will be too tough to eat.  The weeds are almost suffocating the sweetcorn and goodness knows what else is there.

I understand he's off to uni and won't be around but why not give the stuff away instead of wasting it.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: A Shocking Waste!
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 21:53:10 »
I'd have knocked up an organic box or three and sold them to the other students!
 ;D

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 02:02:33 »
I'd have knocked up an organic box or three and sold them to the other students!

Silly silly. Students eat pot noodles, doner kebab, kensukky chicken, beefburgers etc. No way will they eat cabbage and beetroot. Especially organic.

Susiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 02:18:45 »
I'm right there with you smileyk - I hate waste and if I hear of anything going to waste on our site I will always ask if they don't want it can I pass it onto someone who can make use, sometimes it's someone else on site but I can always find a good home for good food, and its not mine. And do you know I just don't care if people think I'm pushy ;D ;D theres too much waste and a lot of poverty out there.  Sorry for the soap box but I care ???

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 08:09:57 »
There's bound to be some "veggies" at a Uni!
 :-\

keef

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 11:49:25 »

Silly silly. Students eat pot noodles, doner kebab, kensukky chicken, beefburgers etc. No way will they eat cabbage and beetroot. Especially organic.

Only if they have money from mummy and daddy - my mate lived on Lard and Weetabix for while  ;)
Straight outt'a compton - West Berkshire.

Please excuse my spelling, i am an engineer

weedy gardener

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2007, 16:53:17 »
Speaking of living on lard and weetabix - this made me laugh! - and reminded me of a bloke who contracted scurvy (!!!) in the first year at my uni because he only ever ate porridge the first term.  Apparently it was the first case of scurvy in Swansea for 300 years. He's a consultant dietician working in London now. 

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2007, 16:59:49 »
maybe he though he had blight and was buring everything just in case??

He might be misguided rather than stupid??

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2007, 12:48:19 »
When I was at Uni one of the Halls had scurvy ......food was included with accommodation so it was the fault of the people who ran the hall.....about 180 students affected!

Pumper

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2007, 13:01:23 »
Speaking of living on lard and weetabix - this made me laugh! - and reminded me of a bloke who contracted scurvy (!!!) in the first year at my uni because he only ever ate porridge the first term.  Apparently it was the first case of scurvy in Swansea for 300 years. He's a consultant dietician working in London now. 

I heard that one as well. Apparently, he cooked the porridge and then poured it into a drawer to set. whenever he felt hungry he'd go and cut a slab out of the drawer. Just wondering what else the drawer could have been used for by previous occupants  :o

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2007, 21:36:12 »
That's hard to believe; porridge is a very good medium for growing mould. You'd need a watertight drawer as well. I survived a year of university food once, and moved into self-catering accommodation.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal