Author Topic: Where to start  (Read 1773 times)

wolflike

• Not So New ...
  • My cat hiding
    • Wolflike
Where to start
« on: July 31, 2007, 21:41:42 »
Hi all. I have at last got my very own allotment.

After many years of using my back garden I have just taken over a plot just round the corner from my house.

It is quite big at 500sq ft, and is completely covered in couch grass.
Any quick fixes or is it better to just dig it and dig it and dig it till I have got all the roots that I can see out?

Is it best to burn the roots or can it be composted?

There are pics of the lottie in my profile.
The best thing about growing your own is knowing that somebody didn't get chain ganged into picking it!

Blogging away at www.wolflike.co.uk

valmarg

• Hectare
Re: Where to start
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 00:23:55 »
Oh dear wolflike,there are no quick fixes with couch grass, you have the difficult job of removing it manually.  The more you dig it out the less it gets, but it will be quite a long task.

The roots of any perennial weed such as couch grass, dandelion, dock, bindweed, etc, should NEVER EVER be composted (and I cannot emphasise that too strongly).  Unless you can guarantee that your compost bin/heap will get to a sufficiently high temperature to kill off these weeds, best not to put them in!!  Burning is best.

valmarg

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 13:38:00 »
My plot was mostly couch grass and not a lot else when I took it over last August as well. You can cover areas to weaken it and dig it out by hand, or you could consider spraying it; you still have to dig the dead roots out though, and however careful you are some will regrow. Depends on how you want to manage your plot, no chemicals, or a once over and chemical free after that etc.

I took a middle path with mine and used Amcide (which breaks down into a fertiliser after a while, but you can't plant in it for three months) on the worst part of my plot where I planned to make raised beds and not plant up until spring. The other side I covered a third, and dug it over removing the couch as I went as there was some fruit bushes and other plants I did not want to risk spraying near. I haven't used any chemicals since.

I am still fighting it in some areas, but it is nothing like it was last year.......

Below is the right side, photos in sequence from last August through to this July;

If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 14:23:00 »
 ;D ;D ;D

Great pics Deb! Lots of hard work gone into that, and a truly lovely result.

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2007, 15:01:28 »
Can I add my tuppenceworth, although it may not be to everyone's liking?

Glyphosate the bl**dy lot, once will sort out the couch grass, roots and all (and all the other weeds), and once the dead grass is dug in it can be planted up immediately.

It's all very well towing your guts out to remove it manually, but this is the quick fix.

Of course, it's not organic, but faced with that situation, it's what I'd do.
I hoe, I hoe, then off to work I go.

http://tapnewswire.com/

silly billy

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007, 15:49:45 »
Can I add my tuppenceworth, although it may not be to everyone's liking?

Glyphosate the bl**dy lot, once will sort out the couch grass, roots and all (and all the other weeds), and once the dead grass is dug in it can be planted up immediately.

It's all very well towing your guts out to remove it manually, but this is the quick fix.

Of course, it's not organic, but faced with that situation, it's what I'd do.

Couldn't agree more.
My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in. Bill Shankly.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2007, 09:49:45 »
Congratulations Wolflike.. where's the plot? Sinfin Lane?
Remember Debs and I are just up the road at LLane if you want to come for a natter..
 ;D

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2007, 18:12:23 »
It's not entirely true that you can't compost perennial roots such as bindweed, nettles, buttercup and couchgrass. As I dug over my own overwhelmed plot seven years ago, I was careful to put annual weeds on a compost heap, and perennial ones into strong plastic bags (animal feed, compost bags etc) firmly tied and stacked in a dark corner full of brambles and nettles.

Not only did the heap of bags discourage the brambles, but 2 years later I tipped the bags out onto the beds and dug them in as excellent crumbly compost. I enjoyed making use of such noxious weeds, and they are supposed to be nutritious.

I'm following the same plan with a second allotment that I am digging out of a rough grassy field. Perennial weeds go into heavy sacks that weigh down newspaper and cardboard layers that are stifling the grass and weeds at one end, while I am busy at the other.

The annual weeds and any other plant rubbish I can get hold of are sitting on top of brambles and nettles against the hedge. The plot looks terrible, but has been extremely productive over the 14 months since I started. One day it will look neat and tidy as well!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2007, 19:37:17 »
I've been composting perennial roots for years, and never had a problem.

wolflike

• Not So New ...
  • My cat hiding
    • Wolflike
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2007, 22:45:42 »
I would just like to say thanks for all your advice. :D
I have so far started to take the top layer off a section 10ft x 10ft(this is going to be the size of all my planting areas). I may go for the one dose of chemicals to help me out.
Would it be best to spray the whole lot or would I be able to leave some path areas as grass(is this wise?).
The best thing about growing your own is knowing that somebody didn't get chain ganged into picking it!

Blogging away at www.wolflike.co.uk

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2007, 23:53:26 »
No, it's definitely not wise as you'd probably be creating a reservior of couch. Get rid of the grass, then if you want grass paths, seed them and be patient.

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2007, 08:02:37 »
No, it's definitely not wise as you'd probably be creating a reservior of couch. Get rid of the grass, then if you want grass paths, seed them and be patient.

Agreed. If you leave any couch grass alive, it will spread like wildfire, and you'll be back to square one before you know it.
I hoe, I hoe, then off to work I go.

http://tapnewswire.com/

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2007, 08:42:52 »
Agree agree agree.....where I covered and left paths is the only place I have had trouble with regrowth. I've now squatted down, removed the wood shreddings and dug it out , but it would have been so much easier if I had done it properly in the first place!! ;D
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 08:45:31 by Deb P »
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal