Author Topic: Our pond piccies  (Read 3557 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Our pond piccies
« on: June 02, 2004, 18:06:11 »
Still looking a little on the unatural side, but when the plants go around the edge, and more stones and wood to hide the liner totally, and a few fish, and a water lily, it should blend in more....also....the new wooden sleepers need to weather, but we LOVE it.  It looks great, we have the sound of running water through our pebble stream and there is a huge fat frog in permanent residence already!  ;D ;D ;D

Margaret

• Hectare
  • My precious granddaughter Lauren
Re:Our pond piccies
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2004, 20:40:14 »
Hello Emma,it is looking very nice,you have worked hard.I love the way the stream runs into the pond part,under the bridge.The only problem you might have is leaves dropping into it and clogging the flow.

You will be rewarded greatly for all your efforts,when there are lots of wrigglies and other pond life to study!!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2004, 20:44:56 by Margaret »
Margaret

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2004, 22:00:42 »
Looking good EJ  - haven't you done well.  Its amazing how quickly the frogs hone in on a new pond isn't it.  Should look great once all the plants are in situ.  Don't forget to let us have more piccis as it progresses :) :)

Pat
Happy gardening all...........Pat

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2004, 12:42:22 »
Thats a lovely shaped pond EJ.  Very attractive and well made. Almost has a Japanese look to it.  Also like the interesting little pool at the side.  You will have to watch out for frog spawn in the Spring.  It is amazing where the frogs come from.  When we put our pond in a few years ago, we weren't aware of having any in the garden.  Rainy day last week counted 15 hanging around it, and during mating time it is up to 20/30. It will be fascinating for the children.  We often wish we could have a hidden wild-life camera in the pond and round the garden, to see their antics.  :) busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2004, 13:23:58 »
looks lovely! I was a little concerned about access for frogs, but I see it now. Would it be easy for a hedgehog to climb out? I do worry about our spikey slug-eating friends!

Ours should be lined this weekend - we've got a huge shopping trip planned!
gone to pot :D

ava_banana

• Acre
  • EmmaJane's handyman
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2004, 09:49:17 »
I hope EJ doesn't mind me popping into her post...... ::) :-*

At this end, there is a little beach area (or will be when we get a few more stones and the like into the small pool bit)...it is so that animals/frogs etc can climb out (that's the reason for the carved arch under one end)..

...we have tried to make the sides (two of them at least) slope up to a shallower area, for both planting and for animal-safety)..

I was initially concerned that the sleepers looked a little "out of place" (with the children around, we really wanted something for safety), however, EJ has been doing some excellent planting (she really has that touch)...and it really is looking good.

There is a tree nearby that we need to perform a little pruning on as when the wind blows some leaves blow across.......

Thanks for the advice on here though.........both on this and previous posts....... ;D ;D ;D
....we are all visitors to this earth........enjoy your stay.....:)

eileen

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2004, 11:43:17 »
Oh EJ I like that a lot!!! Just beautiful and so well thought out.  8)

Eileen.

EILEEN.

Life is like nectar sweet but sometimes sticky.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2004, 17:06:37 »
Thanks Eileen.  One of our concerns was getting the size right.  We wanted a pond big enough so it didn't look like an after thought or an appology, but at the same time, not huge and formal as our garden is neither, so it does work really well.  As usual, the pics do not do it any justice.  Plants are being added whenever the kids, housework and allotment give me 5 minutes and already the edges are looking softer.  The hard edge allows us to make a solid grid to cover the pond when our little nephew comes visiting, and in the autumn to stop all of the leaves from our willow falling in.

The bridge that Ava created over the mini pool is high enough should anything fall in...well, maybe not an armadillo, but a hedgehog should be fine!  In the mini pool bit I am going to plant some marginals that don't mind sitting in water.  In the garden already I have marsh marigolds and lobellia growing so I am planning to oik them out and get them into the pond.  Now, a few fishes and a little mini waterlilly.

Anthony

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2004, 13:49:26 »
It looks really nice, Just remember don't overstock with fish, they won't thank you for it!! :)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2004, 19:01:09 »
Well, we have 6 fish, and they are only tiddlers.  Plus a grand total of 3 frogs!  Ava bought me some lovely marginals today so tis looking even sexier than ever.  Will take some pics and post soon.  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal