Author Topic: my onions  (Read 906 times)

windygale

• Acre
  • http://spaces.msn.com/windyspot/
    • www.rushall.org.uk
my onions
« on: May 11, 2007, 12:37:07 »
Hi all, can you help, Why are my early red and yellow onions sets setting seeds, (shallots planted at same time are ok) are they any good to eat now, should i leave them to set seed so i have loads for next year, was it that i planted them to early (middle of march) was it lack of water, any advice would be great.
thanks
windy ;)
my allotment
heaven

Palustris

• Hectare
Re: my onions
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2007, 12:40:47 »
Almost certainly lack of water. They do tend to go to seed if they suffer a major check in growth. Shallots can stand a dryer soil and tend not to go to seed in any case.
Gardening is the great leveller.

SGuy

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2007, 17:12:51 »
Can anybody offer me some advice about my onions?  My yellow overwintering onions were looking great until about a week ago when they got seriously windswept.  All the foliage which had been beautifully upright has all bent over and a lot of it is now lying on the ground.  Is this normal?  Should I try to prop the onions up by tying to canes or just leave them be?

Some of the bulbs have also pushed up through the ground, but I've tried to cover them with a little earth

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2007, 17:19:47 »
yes, some of ours are the same, they seem to be putting on weight though, I'll wait to see what other's opinions are  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal