Author Topic: What winter squash are you growing this year  (Read 1135 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
What winter squash are you growing this year
« on: April 04, 2007, 15:58:38 »
Hi, as always I am growing a few squash new to me along with some very old favourites for a great  many years , and some of  my favourites from just the past 6  or 7 years.I am curious to know what others are growing . I have now cut down to my two strongest plants of the following, I would be grateful to know  if anyone else is growing any of these, especially the new to me ones.I would appreciate the info you can share.I have a few others which are not potted on yet as they were planted later.

Blue Magic ,     very old favourite
Wathams Butternut,   very old, but not a favourite.I grow it for a friend
Early Golden Hubbard,      newish favourite
Hokkaido,     newish favourite
Jarrahdale,    newish favourite
Red Kuri ( almost the same as Hokkaido but not quite) very old favourite
Jaspee De Vende...new to me
Anna Swartz..new to me
Triamble , newish favourite..using Supersprouts seeds as mine were back ordered and they are growing  smashing, Thanks Sarah!!
Greek Sweet Red.. second year I have grown this one
Thelma Sanders,   new to me
Aussie Butter,    very old favourite
Crown Prince,   newish favourite
Galeyse de Elishe(spelt wrong)      second year I have grown this one
Sweet Dumpling ,      very old favourite
Candy Roaster,     new to me
Burgess Buttercup,     very old favourite
Toonas Marino,     newish favourite
Table Queen, very old favourite

I would appreciate your knowledge of my new ventures.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Mrs greenjeans

• Not So New ...
  • fighting the brambles on the banks of the Mole
Re: What winter squash are you growing this year
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 19:04:57 »
:o wow jeanine, you ARE the squash queen -- just saw your previous post with the basic advice... And I thought I was a squashie and I'm only doing 5...

True your comments about US growth advice. I got last yrs seeds from an American friend who was returning and didn't want to argue with customs! Like you mine are up now and being moved to cold greenhouse. I have one US variety -- a kind of patty pan -- that they say to plant 5 seeds to a mound in May/june? I look at the US hardiness zone maps and use Oregon/pacific northwest as an equivalent to southern england. I'm a midwesterner myself so was used to harder winters and slower start to a hotter growing season.

Here's what I'm doing for what it's worth...
Spaghetti Squash - from seeds of italy
butternut
"early white bush scallop" - a US seed - photo looks like what I call patty pan
Lady Godiva - a HSL freebie I got from garden organic - only 5 seeds!
courgettes - defender and black beauty - was given both seeds

this is only my yr2 but butternut was BIG success last year. got one bigger than rugby ball which fed 9 of us for Thanksgiving. x

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 19:56:18 »

Hi, I am not a queen, LOL, I am just a squash collector,it's a bit like stamps really but edible, and the range of colours. shapes and sizes is vast.

Oregon and the PNW are probably about the same as you say the UK south. I lived the Pacific North West for 30 years, we have been back 6.

Last official spring frost day in Oregon is April 3rd,just 3 days later than Vancouver BC where we were. First frost was Oregon Nov 7th, Vancouver the 4th, so the growing season there is about 217 days, That is much longer than we have, so the bigger squash are a gamble, anything that can be done to lenghthen the season here is worth it,especially as the squash is fast catching on in the Uk, but many of them of course are from the US.

Early White bush scallop is known by a few names,White scallop. White Pattypan, and White Custard are the same plant, they are summer squash, pepo family , bush not vine and mature quickly. Quite a nice tasty little summer squash, I have 2 of those growing as well, plus an eight ball and a sunburst and a butterstick.That's plenty of summer squash for me.I did have some crooknecks on order but they back ordered they might make it though as I can plant them later.

I do of course grow a few pumpkins too, just gotta have that pie!!

Lady Godiva is getting popular now, so named for it's naked seeds. Do you eat them?

Black Beauty  Zucchini is very popular, it takes licking and keeps on ticking...very strong plant.

Spaghetti has never been one of my favourites, I don't know why really, I guess if I want pasta I want pasta,but it hardy and keeps a while too.

If you want more I have about 65 varieties.Most of my seeds I have shipped over ,the reason is because I cannot get the varieties here and then the 5/10 to a packet thing. I usually buy 1/4 ounce which gives me plenty to share.It is cheaper to have them sent from the US than from T&M too, crazy old world eh. I do the same thing with my tomatoes and beans too, after that I buy locally if I can unless it is a particular variety I want.

I am so pleased that squash is catching on, I felt a bit like a dodo when I came back , I didn't know anyone then who grew it, just marrows I was told.

I still have the heat on in my house greenhouse because of the melons, but I will move my squash to the lottie houses this week perhaps.

Where in the midwest?

Nice to bump into you,if I can help you with seeds give me a shout, still time to plant. Would you a seed or two of something that would keep in storage? You might like the Delicata types if you like butternut, I think they are sweeter and are easy to grow.

Let me know if you want a few seeds. XX Jeannine

When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 21:35:09 »
Crown Prince, stores really well... still got three in the shed... Triamble if one of the postal survivors is... the plants and labels arrived seperately... If I see one set I will isolate the next flower to save my own seed!
 ;D

potterfanpete

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 21:44:22 »
Jeanning - 65 Varieties! I still stand in awe about the amount you grow - you must be the princess then if not the queen! would you be able to send me a list of the suppliers by PM please again? Thanks - it would be much appreciated :)

Pete

Mrs greenjeans

• Not So New ...
  • fighting the brambles on the banks of the Mole
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007, 10:04:20 »
Hey Jeannine,

Am originally from Chicago- West suburbs. Have lived in SW London for almost 20 years. Discovered gardening here - english hubby's parents are keenies. Took on allotment last summer - even though pregnant - ( ::) and loved it.

would love any seeds you can send. shall I PM you with address? xa

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2007, 10:08:29 »
Please XX Jeannine

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2007, 11:45:27 »
Hi Jeannine,

could you PM me some details of your US supplier too?

I'm growing
butternut sprinter
cornell's bush delicata
sweet dumpling
buttercup
blue ballet

all new to me except butternut

some advice please - i'll grow some at home as well as on the allotment. I have 18 in round 12 in deep tubs, and 14 in by 10 in round pots. How many can I put in these? I'll be using a compost mixture not soil.

Cheers

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2007, 13:30:54 »
Afternoon!
lovley sunny one too
Jaspee de Vendee,we eat this raw as it is sweet ,with a salad dressing.
Uchiki kuri, makes the best soup in the world ....still have some stored!
will be trying
marina di Chiogga
good luck!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal