Author Topic: Ponytail Palm  (Read 1371 times)

Andy H

• Hectare
Ponytail Palm
« on: March 17, 2007, 14:37:45 »
Beaucarnea recurvita

out the propagator for a week now so hoping they will grow ok

and one day maybe look like this!!!

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re: Ponytail Palm
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2007, 17:51:21 »
I grew these from seed when I was a lass.  One survives in my conservatory and is getting a goodly size.  I will take a photo later.  Once the trunk starts to grow you have to be careful not to overwater as it will quickly rot.

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2007, 18:18:45 »
I am a bugger for forgetting to water then soaking things. Sometimes good way to do it though I think if not extreme.....

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2007, 12:13:00 »
ERROR ERROR ERROR

In my confusion I found the missing seed packet and although the above name matches the picture the seedlings are for something different!!!

They are The Silk Oak (Grevillea robusta) from Eden Project.

This fast grower, with its fern-like leaves, makes a striking foliage pot plant for the house or conservatory. It reaches 15m (50') in its native Australian home and is used for cabinet making and as a shade tree for coffee bushes. Get a new one started before your old one gets too big!

Ceratonia

• Acre
  • Cambridge
    • Personal (non-allotment) blog
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2007, 19:27:13 »
They are The Silk Oak (Grevillea robusta) from Eden Project.

I had one of these for a few years - nice foliage, as the description you posted says. It got quite big quite fast and seemed to lose the lower leaves, leaving a 6ft high stick with nice foliage at the top, so I let it takes its chances outside and the frost got it.

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2007, 20:45:10 »
OK thanks, I may leave in a pot then and protect in winter.... Not got a conservatory and no room in the house!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal