Author Topic: Thinking about allotment self running  (Read 2499 times)

MattyJC

• Half Acre
  • South Oxfordshire
Thinking about allotment self running
« on: March 09, 2007, 16:03:54 »
Hi folks,

Our site is currently council owned and run. A few of us have been wondering about running the site ourselves by way of a commitee, as the council are not really very intrested in doing anything other than collect the rent.
What Im asking (before I approach the council) is if anyone has done this? have there been many problems and how its run and worked.

I know its a lot to ask and as always Im very grateful of any replies!

Regards

Matt

Basil

Re: Thinking about allotment self running
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2007, 18:08:40 »
Hi Matt,

Our site is probably going the same way towards self management. We have our very first meeting tomorrow and hopefully we will decide to form an association. Once the association has established itself we will be looking to implement self management.

I'll let you know what is discussed tomorrow.

Paul

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2007, 19:08:06 »
Ours was like that till 5 years ago. The committee have turned things round no end. We have a shop that provides for all allotment needs. Now we get grants for bits & bobs, secure fencing, taps around the site. We even got a lottery grant once. 5yrs ago plots were going derelict & you couldnt give them away. Now there is a waiting list of up to 2 years!

Police pay more attention if things go wrong even if it is little. The area is tidy, there are less youths hanging round though you will always get these. We have monthly committee meetings and a member of the council always sits in to offer advice on new laws and things we may be eligable for.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

farmgarden

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 10:06:51 »

Hi Matt

I'm sure you're already aware of us, but if not, do have a look at the Allotments Regeneration Initiative website (www.farmgarden.org.uk/ari) where we have downloadable factsheets on 'Gardeners in Charge' - handy tips on setting up an allotment association, and others from fundraising to composting toilets! You can also sign up for our newsletter and we currently offer a travel bursary to groups wanting to visit other allotment sites for inspiration - all info is on the website.

All the best with your venture - please get in touch with us if we may be able to help further.

Hannah Durrant, Allotments Regeneration Initiative

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal