Author Topic: keeping chickens  (Read 8785 times)

Philbasford

• Acre
keeping chickens
« on: March 06, 2007, 15:40:54 »
We are moving to a bigger property with a huge garden and some old outbuildings when the house was built in 1960(divided in to 3 with brick wall, pre cast conrete roof.  I am wanting to keep 3 or 4 chickens and was wondering what size i would need for a coop and would it need a window etc etc in it?.  Am also thinking is this a good time of year to get new birds settled in (i mean the chickens not the wife lol:)ive heard they are really easier to keep (had rabbits before and they were a joy).  Also i wont be working during this summer so would be able to spend some time with then:)

Linda Tal

• Half Acre
  • Swadlincote, South Derbyshire
Re: keeping chickens
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 19:16:52 »
We've had chickens for a couple of years now and they are really easy to look after.  

We had six to begin with and hubby built an ark (like the ones from Forsham Cottage Arks) but we decided after a while to convert our kids' old playhouse as the kids had outgrown it, with a large run attached to it.  The playhouse measures 10' x 8' with a nice verandah!!! and we've partitioned it, one half to keep all the food etc., and the other half for them to perch.  At one point last summer, we had 14 in there and still had plenty of room.  They don't like to have too much room as they like to huddle together, especially in the winter.  

You'll need one nest box per 3 hens and a long enough perch high up and access for them to get at it, like a ramp or something similar because they can hurt themselves if they have to jump/fly from too high up.

I must get sorted out with how to post photos etc., not so much of a whizz on the computer ;)

Hope this helps :)

Linda

Philbasford

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 21:45:53 »
does anyone know where i could buy chickens in the nottingham area?

Linda Tal

• Half Acre
  • Swadlincote, South Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 22:17:46 »
Phil, try the Practical Poultry magazine, or their website - www.practicalpoultry.co.uk.  They have list of people by area.  You should find someone in there.

Linda.

Philbasford

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2007, 22:28:19 »
than ks great:)

Philbasford

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2007, 18:17:08 »

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2007, 18:54:31 »
I think it looks very posh!   ;D

Our hens are in an old shed. Admittedly a big old shed!

I'll have a look through my pics and show you. 

woody

• Quarter Acre
  • Unleash the heat
    • Fire Foods
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2007, 20:10:28 »
You could try the one stop chickin stop in Grantham, they sold me a coup hens, food etc etc, they are nice people to deal with :)

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2007, 20:43:34 »
Yes the one stop chicken shop is great ... going again at the weekend to get mydaughter anotehr Bluebelle!

I would def recommend a shed rather than a chicken coop.... soooo much cheaper!  I do have 2 (inherited) chicken coops and one chicken ark from 1stop but after a year of keeping chooks i would say a shed is best!

PM me if you want any more info /

Philbasford

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2007, 22:17:37 »
thanks heldi, if i did buy that coop-run, would i need to pout something inside to collect the poops?

woody

• Quarter Acre
  • Unleash the heat
    • Fire Foods
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2007, 08:17:54 »
i bought a second hand one fron the osc shop, they are far too dear new,  just remember that it will soon be sh@ted up so my advise would be either buy a shed or pop to the osc shop and buy a econd hand one.

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2007, 11:45:10 »
Erm,I'm not sure as I have not had the pleasure of a brand new spanking chicken coop  ;D  I think they make them with removeable trays don't they?  Also I have been told off someone who has an ark that the perch is above where they nest and the poop gets in there.  You'll have to check it all out before you buy.

Here's some pictures.  I started off with six hens. Two were boys ,both of which have gone. I now have 19. Two more cockerels. One has a home to go to but the other is a nasty evil bird (he is horrid) and OH has a knife and fork in mind for him! Harry in my avatar has gone to service hens for the rest of his life!

Under the perch is a little platform which you can't really see there. The perch has been sanded so there aren't any corners. It's not very high... about  15 inches off the ground. The big birds don't like to fly up or down so have to have a ladder. Which is only a plank of wood with some rungs attached.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 11:52:51 by Heldi »

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2007, 11:48:03 »
Heres a couple of the outside pen...made when the bird flu kicked off last year.

The back of it was made with old doors!

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2007, 14:27:10 »
Just to add the Hybrids are coming in now. Easter is a good time to get them but once summer is over they are impossible to get hold of as i found out last year.

Your outbuildings sound fine. No need for windows... chickens like to lay eggs in the dark generally.  As for poop... shavings, hempcore is fine though you can put a layer of newspaper down too to make it easy to clean up. I only clean out once a week which is just enough in the little coop but once every 3 weeks for the big coop.

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2007, 19:23:44 »
Yes I thought your outbuildings sounded like a good possibility.  It would have to be waterproof so the roof needs to be checked, the perch needs to be out of any draught...but there needs to be air.

woody

• Quarter Acre
  • Unleash the heat
    • Fire Foods
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2007, 19:29:18 »
i use fine shredded paper (from work) for the bottom, and shredded strips for the nest box, all free ;D, i have six hens and getting six eggs every day :)

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2007, 19:58:50 »
Yes I use shredded paper too!  (I'm agreeing with everyone here!)

Oh and Harry has gone from my avatar...thats me that is!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 20:05:22 by Heldi »

Philbasford

• Acre
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2007, 20:23:22 »
yea, i think will get the one i showed in pic for use in summer and the outbuilding for prehaps wen the weathers cold?, or would they get unsettled, am of to a place in grantham tommorrow called the one stop chicken shop for what hybrids to get:)

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2007, 07:08:33 »
Hey so am I - I'm going down about 2pm... bet i will miss you!

I am getting a bluebelle... but I think the speckledy's and black rocks lay more frequently and bigger eggs.  Only reason im getting  a BB is because my daughters got taken last year and i promised to replace it.

Hens learn where their home is and do not like to be moved - egg laying can be affected, pecking order might need to be reestablished  etc... So decide on which one to go for I say!

Philbasford

• Acre
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2007, 08:20:55 »
will proberly be there about the same time:)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal