Author Topic: Sweetcorn tips  (Read 6038 times)

valmarg

• Hectare
Re: Sweetcorn tips
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2007, 21:35:30 »
One tip I got last year was, when sowing the sweetcorn seed, only lightly cover with compost.

In the past we had pressed the seed about a quarter to half an inch into the compost.  Doing this we had a very poor germination rate.  When we used the lightly covering method we had 100% germination rate.

valmarg

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2007, 21:35:59 »
I did cover with compost, cant remember how lightly though, & I planted them 1ft apart as I was directed. Was this too far. Not sure if I wanna go with them again. They take loads of room though I know you can undercrop.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 21:40:45 by ktlawson »
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2007, 21:38:51 »
I plant on an 18 inch grid ...

Derek :)
The impossible is just a journey away ...

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2007, 21:42:42 »
I never plant under a foot apart, usually a bit mor than that. Farmers grow them spaced like carrots but that's chicken feed stuff. I don't like the plants rubbing together. Pollenation between plants is necessary but I wouldn't have thought a foot apart to far.

...and I've gone right off Derek........ :P

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2007, 21:53:15 »
...and I've gone right off Derek........ :P

Ah well, I have been known to have that effect ...  :D

Laney

• Quarter Acre
  • Clueless in South Essex
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2007, 22:15:59 »
Keep the tips coming guys, you're inspiring me to get out there tomorrow and dig the bed for them.  I was a bit dubious at first, but now I can almost taste them covered in butter.

Could anyone show me a picture of their plants, just so I can get an idea of bed size and spacings of mature plants?
Blog

The main purpose of holding children's parties is to remind yourself that there are children more awful than your own.

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2007, 22:29:30 »
Another tip when they are ready [when the juice is milky & the tassels brown] then don't pick them till you have the pan boiling on the stove [a slight exageration but leave them as long as you can] then cook them straight away.  If you've never tasted them freshly picked you will be amazed - one of the things which really do taste completely different than from the supermarket.

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2007, 22:33:00 »
Does barbequing them on my allotment, straight off the plant, onto the grille, also qualify? Either way, they were delicious !!!

Derek :)

PS irrespective of space and yield issues, sweetcorn are one of the high points of veg growing to me !

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2007, 22:39:36 »
Eat 'em raw too. Yummy.

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2007, 23:19:18 »
Having successfully grown sweetcorn in my garden for a few years, a couple of years ago I decided to try the mini-sweetcorn variety 'Minipops'. I used a 15" spacing either way and grew a block of 24 plants, taking up a total of just under 8ft by 5 ft, all under-and-between-planted with things like lettuce, radish, etc. The plants grew 8ft high and were absolutely heaving with corn - a great deal of which never even made it indoors (well, I had to keep trying them to check for ripeness)!

Last year I got the allotment so I did the same thing, with the same result. Now I can't imagine not growing sweetcorn. Highly recommended.

Get digging!

;D
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

keef

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2007, 00:16:06 »
I start mine off in the greenhouse in old bog rolls in early / mid may, then plant straight out (bog rolls included) in a grid about 12" apart when the plants average about 7" high. I water them quite a bit to begin with - and keep watering them if its really dry (like last year dann sauf)

I have planted direct in years past - but the last couple of years i've had problems with germination. If you do plant direct - plant a few spares just in case.

When their ready i pick the whole lot, boil for 2 minutes then put them in the freezer. I normally get 2 /3 per plant.
Straight outt'a compton - West Berkshire.

Please excuse my spelling, i am an engineer

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2007, 07:47:11 »
I have 3 types of sweetcorn to grow on the lottie this year. It will be my first attempt, so all this advice is great. Underplanting with winter squash is a great idea, as I only have a small plot, and space is precious.

cj :)

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2007, 08:21:07 »
They seedlings don't like root disturbance so transplanting using paper pots is a good idea.
I have pics on paper pot making.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2007, 17:54:56 »
Loved my Sweetcorn last year, hoping for more cobs this year, I planted them in bio pots so they went straight in the ground no fuss. ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2007, 18:19:30 »
Please forgive my ignorance, but how do you "underplant" sweetcorn (I plant them in about a 1ft grid ) and would other types of veg be suitable in addition to squashe?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2007, 19:07:07 »
I leave out a corn plant and substitute a squash at apropriate intervals. I haven't tried underplanting them with anything else.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2007, 19:22:33 »
I planted long red onions in a row between the corn, it did quite well  :)

Laney

• Quarter Acre
  • Clueless in South Essex
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2007, 20:24:47 »
Would swede grow between the rows? 

My darling pest of a partner is hassling me for swede too, but I've got no more room.  He's the only one that eats them.
:-X

I've told him he can dig this extra bed, if he wants the corn he'll have to work for it! ;D
Blog

The main purpose of holding children's parties is to remind yourself that there are children more awful than your own.

Jitterbug

• Hectare
  • Dance as if no one is watching...
    • Leighton Lottie
Three Sisters
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2007, 15:38:26 »
I read in one of the organic books that by combining corn, beans (using the corn to grow up) and squashes are ideal companion crops and called the three sisters.  It appears this planting was done by the red Indian's in days gone by.  I am going to try this on the lottie this season.

Jitterbug

If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning....

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2007, 17:56:19 »
i tried the three sisters method last year jitterbug.  it was a mixed success. i planted the sweetcorn and squashes at the same time (started in pots) and sowed three bean seeds at the base of each corn plant. the squashes and the corn romped away and grew very well but the beans never really got a look in.  the summer was very dry but the squashes acted as a good mulch for the corn and i put loads of manure and compost in the ground before i planted as they need a lot of feeding.  i think if you wanted the beans to succeed aswell it may be better to start them off in pots also and maybe to have a good amount of space between each corn plant so it doesnt get too congested.  the beans are supposed to be good in this grouping as they add nitrogen to the soil whichis good for the other two crops which as i said are heavy feeders.  an interesting experiment needs a bit of trial and error i think.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal