Author Topic: the big burn!  (Read 4752 times)

marestail murderer

• Half Acre
the big burn!
« on: January 21, 2007, 06:33:43 »
after seeing deb p post on another thread............the one that shows just how much you CAN get done..............i decided yesterday that the two derelict sheds on my plot had too go.................easier said than done.
"they dont make em like they used too"....was the phrase running thru my head as i tried in vain to demolish the first one...one that looked as tho it would fall over with a push!
either nails were stronger in those days..or the guy that put it up had a degree in building construction.............
anyway..it started to come apart bit by slow bit....and was placed onto a fire that id started a few feet away........
ever watchfull of the overhanging trees.neighbours dead grass..and various other combustable matereials.i was happily throwing lump after lump of old doors and wood onto the fire.
it was late.......it was windy............
why the hell the previous owner decided to absolutly
 soak all the wood in a creasote solution baffles me!
ten mins later.................i had a raging inferno..flames leaping up into the now darkening sky..........happily masking most of the acrid black smoke billowing towards the housing estates.........due to a sudden and unfortunate wind direction change!
hose on.............bucket after bucket of water..................but managed to keep it under control....just!
that was shed one............................im going to attempt shed two today...........may leave it till dark....just in case hes been at it with the preservatives again!
so.................if anyone sees a glow over doncaster tonight..just let the authoritys know its not a problem......................just little ol me having a burn..........

carolinej

• Hectare
Re: the big burn!
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2007, 07:53:19 »
OOOOh, I love bonfires ;D If I lived closer, I'd bring some marshmallows!

cj :)

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2007, 08:05:35 »
 ;D ;D ;D @ MM

Bring on the volunteers ... the edible kind ;)
Hope you have another today!

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2007, 09:49:27 »
Sounds like you had fun! ;D ;D

I know my old tumbledown shed looked precarious, but it still took some crowbar work to get it apart!

What was really nice was that the chap (Arthur, he left a box of tent cloche clips with his name on in the old shed) who had the plot for quite a while until the early 90's had written in pencil some of his crops and varieties on the shed walls...when I get my 'new' shed I'm going to do the same! ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2007, 14:06:55 »
Wonder if anyone will report the aliens are coming..... ;D ;D ;D
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

marestail murderer

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2007, 08:03:56 »
dunno about that kt.............but i hope no one reports this...........they will leave em parked in the most awkward places.......lol

this was on the allotments the next morning..............ive kept a low profile since......lol
« Last Edit: January 27, 2007, 08:08:07 by marestail murderer »

marestail murderer

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2007, 08:14:48 »
oh................and one more thing i discovered................heat travels....and if ya dont watch what your doing.........you too can end up with a compost bin that looks like an extra from a scream movie.....
« Last Edit: January 27, 2007, 08:16:35 by marestail murderer »

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2007, 09:41:34 »
::)One can only guess as to what other plot holders had to say. ;D ;D

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2007, 11:55:05 »
Looks like you've had a nightMARE :-[, I suppose you've gone away with your TAIL between your legs off to the pub to drown your sorrows I suppose you could MURDER a pint.    ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

sallyann993

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2007, 12:00:28 »
marestail murderer where in doncaster are you ?

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2007, 21:23:49 »
 ;D ;D thats exactly what we spent last weekend doing ... only we remembered to water our water butt and compost surround FREQUENTLY ... they spent about 3 hours steaming !! 

marestail murderer

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2007, 06:59:33 »
sallyanne.............if your the owner of the car....................i live in askern.................if your not...............im closer to town......lol................(hexthorpe...but dont let that put you off.....lol)
frogslegs..................there were no other plotholders around.............it was blowing a gale..raining......and was about the time corrie and eastenders was on telly..........only me daft enough to be up there in those conditions and at that time..........well...........me and the local scroats!
kev....................its early sunday morning...........but i will think of a reply later....lol
mc.................great idea.....................next time ill remember..............lol

one other thing folks......................how much should i put a badly scorched buddlia up for sale on ebay?

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2007, 08:14:01 »
one other thing folks......................how much should i put a badly scorched buddlia up for sale on ebay?

I'm not really sure, but I think the plastic modern art compost bin could give Tracy Emin a run for her money ;D

cj :)

marestail murderer

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2007, 20:13:06 »
anyone got the number of the tate modern?..........lol.............lovely idea  caroline.............im now calling it   "martian with a fear of fire"
offers around 30 grand will ..........(a)........be considered
                                                      (b)........be quickly snapped up!

caroline................for your imput and suggestion...............if this comes off..............you can have the choice of any twelve packets of seed from the latest t and m cataloge...............and ill send a chippendale to plant em for ya!

volenteer myself.............but im more of your regency period than chippendale!

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2007, 20:41:50 »
Here's hoping for a quick sale ;)

cj ;D ;D ;D

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2007, 21:48:30 »

Class !

;D
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2007, 09:44:17 »
No wonder there was thick fog over the Don Valley this morning ..
It was YOU was it ,,,, ;D    Was that shed 2 going last night ?
Cheers Jim..
« Last Edit: February 09, 2007, 09:46:36 by growmore »
Cheers .. Jim

marestail murderer

• Half Acre
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2007, 19:25:18 »
lol.............you guessed it jim...............just trying to get my own back for the surplus water coming downriver from you the other week...nearly flooded my plot!

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2007, 00:06:07 »
I love fire.

I have done the last 6 village bonfires last one in 2005 took 2 days, 2 jcbs and about 600 pallets to make :-)

And 3 hours to burn

we had to cancel 2006 due to lack of funds as the insurance is expensive.

Hopeing to do this aging in 2007

Pic http://www.paulandlouise.com/gallery/ i think its the 4th or 5th one down

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal