Author Topic: plant sale day  (Read 3736 times)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
plant sale day
« on: January 20, 2007, 18:33:13 »
anyone done this, we're considering growing some plants and selling them to the neighbours around the plots, someone has told us we will need a license to sell, it seems a bit drastic for a few bob in the allotment funds ?, any tips please  :)

Biscombe

• Hectare
  • Spanish Gardening In Orgiva
Re: plant sale day
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2007, 19:45:50 »
Thought about doing the same thing manics, mainly growing unusual toms to sell at work, the garden centres dont even label the variery! shame!!! how much and at what growing stage would you sell the plants?

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2007, 19:50:04 »
We grow stuff in the adjoining plot that has been transformed into a nursery with grants from the council. I know that everything we sell at our shop - all profits go back into the site funds.

I am not sure on licensing agreements as we get on well with our local council. Maybe we have dispensation? Don't know really though. Will ask when the lotties shop opens tomorrow.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2007, 21:00:45 »
Biscombe, we were thinking of early may for the sale so the plants for hanging baskets and bedding plants were ready to go in the ground,
kt, any help you can give will be greatly appreciated  ;D

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2007, 22:40:15 »
If you belong to an allotment society I believe you aren't allowed to sell your produce for profit anywhere, though you can donate any money you receive to the allotment association or charity.  We usually have a seed and plant share will begins in May.  I usually organise this on our site.  I  poster the gates and put up a little shelf outside our association hut and people leave their suplus stuff or unwanted stuff, and it is there for everyone to help themselves.  It is usually very good and you can get some interesting stuff.   :) busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2007, 19:57:13 »
We have a plant sale at least once a year with money to allotment funds.
 :-\

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2007, 20:23:18 »
that's what we're doing, saddad, we need some more cash as our grant's all gone on the manky fence
do you need any sort of license or do you just do it ?
give us some ideas, hey  ;D ;D

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2007, 21:15:16 »
A way round it is selling the "bag" the produce is in ;), but you didn't hear it from me. :-X    ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2007, 21:17:33 »
I've been told we can charge for a cup of tea and 'give' the plants away, don't know how true it is
we're not a council run site so I don't know if it makes a difference  :)

kitten

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2007, 22:15:30 »
Hi manics, yes I believe that's true enough, it's how the grocery stores used to get away with opening on a Sunday before Sunday trading had been legalised (something about being allowed to sell oranges, so they'd sell 'oranges' & give bread, milk, etc 'free'). x
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2007, 20:01:59 »
We just do it... but then we are a private site so don't have the council breathing down our neck... not seen any of the "inspectors" come round to tell us off though.
(? Hope I haven't spoken too soon!)
 ::)

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2007, 13:40:43 »
Hi, Saddad, how often do you have your plant sales, we're renting off the  :-X :-X club
we're just hoping they don't demand some of the money we make  >:( >:(

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2007, 18:33:22 »
Used to be once a year... we found the sun before the late Bank Hol Monday was the best time. Now we are in the Yellow Book (NGS) I hope to make it an annual event 1st Sunday in June.
 8)

weedbusta

• Hectare
  • glasgow
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2007, 11:49:57 »
hiya,
we have a plant sale every may with all profit going back into the allotment site. we're a council allotment but have never been told we cant have a sale, or keep the proceeds.

try to get as many people involved as possible, its hard work but a good laugh.
sell tea biscuits etc and provide a few chairs and tables.  buy hanging baskets from the £ shop and plant them up. b&q charge around a tenner for a decent basket, you can make one up for buttons.
strawberry runners planted up, (free!! my favourite price  ;) ) pure profit!
if everyone at the plots potted on their surplus you'd have loads- for free
bulk buy plug plants and bring them on, same with cheap fruit bushes, (if you cant get some free from around the plots) a few fruit trees etc.
we even stick a box full of rhubarb down with a cup for donations
print off some small posters and put them up locally..
it gets bigger every year as word gets around, we made over £600 profit last year, and had a laugh at the same time. the year before we bought a poly tunnel for everyone to use. just don't get caught up in the usual argument about who has done the most work etc!!
good luck.x

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal