Author Topic: Spontaneous Rebooting  (Read 8886 times)

glow777

• Hectare
  • up in the hills in Buxton
Re: Spontaneous Rebooting
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2006, 20:50:10 »
Definately your RAM IMO

Do you know how many ram modules are in your pc if there are more than one try booting with just one and alternate to find the corrupt module. If you only have one beg buy or borrow another module and test to see if the problem dissapears.

Changing ram is possibly the easiest (and cheapest) PC job let us know if you (or someone you can rope in) cant do this

glow

ipt8

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2006, 23:09:00 »
Hi
I am just doing a course with the Open University about Vandalism in Cyberspace. I think your problem is a virus type thing, malware or similar. We were recomended the free programmes Ad Aware (watch the spelling) and Spybot.
My daughter had a similar problem and it was a virus. Your anti virus should detect it, or go to Norton for a free check.
Ivor

glow777

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2006, 08:15:03 »
Hi Ivor
Its not malware, viruses/worms such as MSBlaster that cause rebooting would make the PC reboot every time and would give hardware stop errors.

Adaware is also an anti spyware program not an antivirus program so wouldnt necesary find a problem

However having adAware on your PC is always a good tip (if regularily updated)

Glow

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2006, 09:29:08 »
I would go with the ram problem/solution myself. I have upto date antivirus and anti spyware software on the pc. A 'bug' causing the rebooting would have showed up and been dealt with by the software.

However on investigation i scans show the machine 'appears'to have less ram than it is suposed to (400 and something rather than 512MB). May be this shows something is wrong with the ram. Either some ram chips are not connected properly or the are faulty.

Any feedback on this please?
Thanks

jaggythistle

• Acre
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2006, 11:17:13 »

I would say your Rams ok...........it would not show the full 512 mbs as your
   system uses some...........back to the drawing board I think GC ::)

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2006, 11:21:56 »
The system rarely sets aside more than about 8mb of RAM, but it may have allocated some to graphics - usually 64mb or 128mb - if you do not have a separate graphics card.

Can't remember where to look in XP to check this - sorry.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2006, 11:28:00 »
But could I still have  problem with my ram? Indications still suggest a memory problem.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2006, 18:39:40 »
Windows has just sent error report about the last 'stop' errors. it cam eback the first time with a'crach analysis page, stating it was a device driver problem - not for the first time, however i have no idea what device it might be causing the problem.

The second time it came back with something about the video card and driver. The crash analysis page suggested 2 solutions. Firstly to check for an update from microsoft - i did this there is none available. The second was to turn off hardware acceleration. This may solve that problem  but might cause reductionin performance. I have done this, but is it a good solution? I need advice here please.

Any feedback on any of the issues raisedin this post appeciated.

Thanks

glow777

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2006, 23:38:33 »
cant imagine hardware acceleration affecting an early bootup process, would still try changing RAM.

glow777

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2006, 23:41:19 »
Can't remember where to look in XP to check this - sorry.

It's in the bios usually under integrated peripherals

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2006, 00:04:11 »
Thanks.

I am getting a little confused and frustrated, by conflicting advice. The PC/Microsoft tells me its a device driver (which one? - it wont tell me!), then i get differing advice from you good people on a4all.

Glow777, i feel your advice had been the most helpfull., i do feel that the ram is the problem. Finding out exactly what  the problem with it is is going to be the be the tricky bit. Then i have to sort it out/get it fixed. I sincerely hope i havent got a dud ram module. its a brand new PC, I shall be annnoyed if it has been supplied with a faulty part >:(

Anyway thanks for your help,

glow777

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2006, 00:24:24 »
If it is Ram then its not a case of fixing it its a replacement module.

What I would do if I was you (as stated before) would be to replace your ram and see if it works any better.

Even if you have to buy more Ram and it's not the memory that is at fault your machine will run faster with extra ram (both modules) installed.

BTW RAM is pretty cheap and easy to fit just make sure you get the right type
eg
http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/36557/rb/22617359454

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2006, 00:41:25 »
Hmm......

I think it might be back to where we bought it to complain. By rights they should fix it under either guarantee or service agreement. cant see the point paying out for ram and having to fit it myself if it turns out to be a parts error on a near new machine, thus not a result of usage.

ironic really. the machine was bought to replace one that had become outdated largely due to insuficent ram!. we were going to upgrade the ram and get it serviced then realised it would be more cost effective to replace the machine in the long term.

glow777

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2006, 08:12:26 »
Sorry didnt know it was still under guarantee - in that case print your stop error and return it to whence it came

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2007, 17:19:09 »
Aplogies for using an old thread but i felt the need to provide some sort of update to this saga.

The 'spontaneous rebooting' or 'Stop' errors has become an ongoing problem with the computer. As soon as i think i have got to the bottom of it and stopped it happening, something makes it start happening again.

Firstly i took it back to the PC World store where it was purchased, believing it to be a hardware problem covered by the warranty. Instead of taking it in to be looked at they advised me to run a system restore/reset, which is effectively a reinstallation of windows xp. If this failed they said them bring it back - could be a dodgy hard drive. I did the restore, which to be fair did seem to solve the problem and in the process unearthed a possible cause of the original problem. Whilst reinstalling my soft ware all was fine until i put back on an old but well used item of software, then the stop errors came back. Clearly the PC didnt like this software (Money 99).

After upgrading the old software all was fine. The machine not only didnt get stop errors it also worked better in general. Then after a while problems started coming back. Stop errors would occur following updates to Windows, or when new software was added. As this was only occasionaly, it seemed only a minor inconvenience.

Latterly though the problem has got worse. in addition when reports came back from microsoft following each stop error, the suggested cause changed from 'Device Driver' to 'Antivirus software' followed by a list of fix options. Two of therse didnt apply - i only have one antivirus software on the PC and it is up to date. The third option told me to contact the software manufacturer (in this case Symantec/Norton) for assistance. When i had the time i contacted Symantec via their online help chatroom, and to cut a long story short, was told i would have to remove my current version of the software and install the latest version (supplied by a free download). This would solve the apparent conflict with windows.

I have to say i am not that happy with this advice. My version of Norton Antivirus is not old (2006 version) and in updated regularly. Furthermore i have exactly the same set up on my laptop and all is fine with that (no stop errors caused aparently by 'antivirus software). I cannot understand how this problem could be happening. i also am wary of placing my PC's security in the hands of a download, however well authenticated and official. And yet the problem persists. I have checked recently instlled software and this has made no difference. Can anyone offer any advice? Anyone had a problem like it themselves?

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2007, 17:29:09 »
Try running scandisk or other diagnostic software and set it to do the full check and test for faulty disc sectors. If there is a  bad section on the disc during normal operation, you will likely get error messages pointing the finger of blame to whatever program attempted to use the bad sectors.

Spontaneous rebooting can also be caused by faulty power supplies or loose connections.

bluebedouin

• Quarter Acre
    • The Friendliest Auction Site On Earth !
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2007, 03:26:56 »
Aplogies for using an old thread but i felt the need to provide some sort of update to this saga.

The 'spontaneous rebooting' or 'Stop' errors has become an ongoing problem with the computer. As soon as i think i have got to the bottom of it and stopped it happening, something makes it start happening again.

Firstly i took it back to the PC World store where it was purchased, believing it to be a hardware problem covered by the warranty. Instead of taking it in to be looked at they advised me to run a system restore/reset, which is effectively a reinstallation of windows xp. If this failed they said them bring it back - could be a dodgy hard drive. I did the restore, which to be fair did seem to solve the problem and in the process unearthed a possible cause of the original problem. Whilst reinstalling my soft ware all was fine until i put back on an old but well used item of software, then the stop errors came back. Clearly the PC didnt like this software (Money 99).

After upgrading the old software all was fine. The machine not only didnt get stop errors it also worked better in general. Then after a while problems started coming back. Stop errors would occur following updates to Windows, or when new software was added. As this was only occasionaly, it seemed only a minor inconvenience.

Latterly though the problem has got worse. in addition when reports came back from microsoft following each stop error, the suggested cause changed from 'Device Driver' to 'Antivirus software' followed by a list of fix options. Two of therse didnt apply - i only have one antivirus software on the PC and it is up to date. The third option told me to contact the software manufacturer (in this case Symantec/Norton) for assistance. When i had the time i contacted Symantec via their online help chatroom, and to cut a long story short, was told i would have to remove my current version of the software and install the latest version (supplied by a free download). This would solve the apparent conflict with windows.

I have to say i am not that happy with this advice. My version of Norton Antivirus is not old (2006 version) and in updated regularly. Furthermore i have exactly the same set up on my laptop and all is fine with that (no stop errors caused aparently by 'antivirus software). I cannot understand how this problem could be happening. i also am wary of placing my PC's security in the hands of a download, however well authenticated and official. And yet the problem persists. I have checked recently instlled software and this has made no difference. Can anyone offer any advice? Anyone had a problem like it themselves?
Two very good websites are Computer Hope &
Bleeping Computer. If you can't find a solution on the actual website,a question on the forum should get the help you need.
:)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2007, 10:26:19 »
Thanks for replies. Will certainly check ou those websites.

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2007, 22:02:55 »
GA,
GET RID OF NORTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2007, 23:33:34 »
GA,
GET RID OF NORTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you mean the version I have or Norton full stop? I happen to like Norton and have recently renewed my virus subscription with them. Plus until recently had no problems with Norton and Windows and have never had any problems on my laptop.

I think it may be some problem with the PC itself. What i dont know.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal