Author Topic: Woodcraft folk  (Read 1033 times)

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
Woodcraft folk
« on: September 13, 2006, 20:35:49 »
Today, I took my son to a Woodcraft Folk group. I think I have been roped into helping out with some activities -  I suggested I could do gardening things once a month. Help - apart from the obvious cress thing, what else could I do? Ages range currently from 3 to 7 (probably be the two age groups - Woodchips and Elfins (upto 10).
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

spacehopper

• Hectare
  • Its a jungle out there...
Re: Woodcraft folk
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2006, 20:43:56 »
What about the bean in a jar thing. Roll up a piece of blotting paper to line the inside of a clear glass jar, put the broad bean in between the jar and the paper and keep the paper moist. They can then see their bean germinate and form leaves and roots.
Make the most of today, because you'll never have it back again.

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2006, 00:05:29 »
Wow, that takes me back, I can remember doing the bean in the jar thing when I was at infants school, 1968 ish

tabbycat

• Half Acre
  • Woking, Surrey
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2006, 11:42:46 »
not really actual gardening, but how about getting them, in a few weeks,  to collect as many diferent autumn leaves as they can find and then doing leaf rubbings with crayons or collages using the leaves.
 You can get a bit of gardening in by seeing if they can name the trees the leaves came from.

What about making a mini garden in a shoe box? probably better for the older ones as it's a bit fiddly.

Tabbycat x

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2006, 19:09:29 »
Thanks for the ideas, keep em coming  :)

Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

silly billy

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2006, 19:43:54 »
How about abit of a variation on the cress idea and use egg shells with the tops removed the children can then decorate the eggs with faces and then put some cotton wool in them then some cress seed and they grow hair  :o :o

A note to any folicaly challenged gents:Only works with egg shells.
My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in. Bill Shankly.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2006, 19:51:14 »
One science lesson in primary school really made an impression.
We were told that seeds need air, water and light to sprout.
Out came the broadies:

1. Into a jar with water, covered with a layer of oil - no air
2. Into a dry jar - no water
3. Into damp cotton wool, then put in a dark cupboard - no light

The class could hardly wait to see what had happened a week later! (great teacher ;))
I've never overwatered a seedling since ;D

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2006, 21:57:59 »
Ideas: designing a magic garden, collage with pics from seed catalogues, sprouting seeds mung beans etc, making egg & cress sandwiches with the cress you grow, making bird boxes, making fat bird feeders [not for fat birds but with fat & seeds & stuff in paper cup with string to hang up], collage with different types of seeds, painting/decorating flower pots, planting bulbs in pots, making ladybird house, that should keep you going for a while.  Good luck with the little Elfins - ahh bless

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal