Author Topic: what to do with slate tiles?  (Read 1953 times)

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
what to do with slate tiles?
« on: September 05, 2006, 19:36:29 »
Someone down the road is having their roof done and were throwing the old slate tiles away into the skip. i asked them and they let me have them. i carried in my hands as much as i could. they've all got broken edges and some of them are broken in half.

i've cracked some of the smaller ones to use as a mulch in pots (i'm assuming that's ok to do)...

do you think i can use some of the stronger ones to make a rough sort of path....like stepping stones in the grass?

what other uses can it have?

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
Re: what to do with slate tiles?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2006, 20:07:02 »
Do you have a garden or a plot wahaj?
If a garden, what about a water feature? Make a reservoir, arrange the tiles in decreasing concenteric circles above it, overlapping, until you have a slate cairn with a hole up the middle in which you pop your pump so the water cascades down the sides ::) I made one of these in a previous life house :)
The sound of walking on slate paths remind me of nails on a blackboard, prefer the soft pad pad you get with woodchips ;)

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2006, 20:35:55 »
Do you have a garden or a plot wahaj?
If a garden, what about a water feature? Make a reservoir, arrange the tiles in decreasing concenteric circles above it, overlapping, until you have a slate cairn with a hole up the middle in which you pop your pump so the water cascades down the sides ::) I made one of these in a previous life house :)
The sound of walking on slate paths remind me of nails on a blackboard, prefer the soft pad pad you get with woodchips ;)

oh wow that sounds like a lovely idea! i think i'll definately do that!

and yes...it's a garden. i do have an allotment but i don't go down there because the shoulder high weeds on it scare me  :o

and yea....the path way wasn't one of the best ideas....especially the fact that they're bound to crack under human weight....

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2006, 16:55:42 »
When digging back couch I foumd a vertical double wall of slate in the soil seriously slowed down movement bck into my plot from outside...
 ;)

Chocolate

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2006, 19:03:26 »
My broken slates to do my Japanese garden
cost me three hundred quid !!
The slate water feature was just under two
hundred !!!
So if you can get them for free I'd make sort
of a patio with broken slate then place the water
feature in it.
Bet it will look lovely !!

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2006, 19:41:12 »
christ! that much? well....i haven't got that much to be honest....it's what i could carry back...i've got about 10-15 pieces that should be ok to use......

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal