Author Topic: My property is my property  (Read 12281 times)

Common_Clay

• Acre
  • Loved
My property is my property
« on: September 04, 2006, 13:32:40 »
Hello everyone,

I would like to put forward a question to you all to get some feedback on a problem I'm encountering on my allotment site at the moment.

If you saw something on someone else's plot that you wanted and it didn't appear that the person was using it, would you take it without asking?

My initial response was that I was horrified (and still am) that a person a few plots away had taken my wooden pallets for themselves to hold down tarpaulin, without asking. She approached me yesterday, without a please or thank you, to just inform me that I wasn't around when she needed them so she's taken them. I was so taken aback at the time that I didn't respond in the way I was truly feeling although I told her to put them back when she'd finished using them.

If she'd just asked first of course I wouldn't be feeling this way. Now I'm worried about all the other things on my plot that I've left there that appear to be doing nothing... I'm starting to think that I'm going to have to make certain things (like scaffold boards I actually paid for) 'look' like they're doing a job, even if they're just waiting for me to get round to doing something with them. This has left me feeling very unsettled, as I always assumed from looking around the site too, that whatever you left on your plot was yours and would stay there (with the exception of vandals/tresspassers). Perhaps I'm wrong to assume?

I'd appreciate any other thoughts on this, and possible ways of dealing with it without creating a problem? I helped this woman out a lot to get an allotment and she's tagged on to me as someone she can get a lot out of, every time I'm over there she wants something from me.
Has anyone else had this situation? Thanks.

Grant

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
Re: My property is my property
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2006, 13:35:32 »
We often get 2nd hand goods, which may be useful on the plots.  The plot holder who brings them would expect to be asked by an other if they could have some.  Unless the plot holder 1st offers them to the site.

Common_Clay

• Acre
  • Loved
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2006, 13:41:27 »
Thanks Grant... the things on my plot are just for my own use, I don't find enough stuff to provide for others on there. The pallets were there to be made into another compost bin, and one is used as a step up to my current compost bin.

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2006, 14:12:42 »
yes, i think the lady in question is perhaps taken your good nature for granted. People should not take other peoples things without asking first, end of story.  i would have a qiuet word with her, in a non confrontational way just to make clear that you are not happy with her action.

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2006, 15:34:54 »
 :o

How dare she????????

It is an unwritten (but strictly adhered to) rule on our site that you do not set foot on someone elses plot without their express permission. Taking anything at all from another plot is definitely not allowed.

I agree with sarah, but only when I am in a good mood...normally I would just go and take back what's mine and point out that it is good manners to ask.

;)

Squashfan

• Acre
  • Ah, gardening!
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2006, 15:44:57 »
Oh Clay, how horrible! People are such idiots.  ::)
I'd actually go over and say, look, I was wondering if you could give me back the pallets. I'm going to do X with them. Then put them back on your plot. If she asks about them again, smile and say cheerily, haven't got around to it yet!
You may also give her suggestions as to where she could get her own pallets. She will feel vaguely miffed but not have a comeback because you are so friendly anyway.
This year it's squash.

legendaryone

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2006, 16:25:58 »
It sounds to me like it would only her who would be that cheeky to take without asking, she feels she can because you have been kind to her in the past.
I agree with what katynewbie said, it is an unwritten rule that you do not go on somebody else's plot without asking.
I don't know what you can do about any of your other stuff going walkies, we all have stuff on our allotments we are going to use at a later date. I think you will have to make it look like it is being used ;)
All those who believe in Telekinesis, Raise my hand.

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2006, 17:38:52 »
I think she has well overstepped her mark...cheeky mare.  I would be very miffed indeed. I would think you would have to tell her that you hope she's looking for something else to hold down her tarp because you need those pallets back for a project you had in mind,and tell her she needs to ask you first if she wants something and if you aren't around you'd appreciate it if she wouldn't just help herself.

Blimey...some people eh?!  I've started putting the latch on my gate at the plot because some kid keeps wandering in unannounced...went right up and into my shed and everything. I was very taken aback. I made allowances for him being young and all that but for goodness sake I wouldn't do that even now. He helps an old guy out a few plots down from me.  I don't like it one bit. I mean, I could be up to anything in that shed of mine!!

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2006, 18:54:38 »
On our allotment, taking something from someone else's plot is stealing! If you want something it's fine to ask for it - most peeps willingly loan things and are happy to see them used. But no trespassing and filching. Agree with Hels' approach - ask for them back on a given date, to give her time to find something else to hold down her tarps. Hopefully she'll get the message. You don't have to justify yourself at all - it's your business what you keep on your plot, and whether you use it or let it rot! If necessary, have a word with the site sec. so he/she can keep an eye out too >:(
« Last Edit: September 04, 2006, 18:57:49 by supersprout »

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2006, 18:58:03 »
I have lots of things that may not look like I was using but wouldn't expect anyone to just take them. Its a shame you didn't just take them back before she told you she had them then she may of got the message.

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2006, 19:56:28 »
I agree with everything that has been said.

I also agree with Katynewbie, I would have fetched them back by now ;D/shades x
grow your own way

LynneA

• Half Acre
  • Urban arable smallhoder
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2006, 20:25:58 »
This is exactly the problem we've been having on our site.  We know that the culprit is one of the Site Sec's friends but until he's caught red-handed, we can't prove anything.

One many occasions, fruit & veg has gone missing, but now planks and manure piles are walking as well.

We managed to get some nice wood from a skip (after asking the builders).  When this particular guy saw then, he asked up to give them to him!  Recently, he was wandering round the site and spotted someone's runner beans.  The plotholder asked if he like to try one.  The next day that plotholder arrived to find his beans stripped!

I'm fed up of people taking liberties too.
 >:(

powerspade

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2006, 00:20:12 »
On our site if anyone steals from a member they have their tenancy terminated

Common_Clay

• Acre
  • Loved
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2006, 01:19:30 »
Thank you all so much for your comments, it's made me feel a lot better knowing that I'm not being ridiculously petty!

I've thought about it a lot today and went over to the plot to arrange things a little differently, so it looks like things are doing a job. I hate the fact that I even have to bother with this, but it's a preventative measure, if anything else goes on like this I won't stay quiet on it.
  Yesterday, whilst still in shock, I asked her would she be needing them long as I wanted them back. She mumbled something about by the end of September (she's African, the communication is hard) so I've decided to wait until then. I've seen a picture on one of the threads on here of an interesting wildlife tower made from pallets, I think I might be making one shortly...  ;)

I expect there will be further unacceptable requests she'll make of me to come but I can't be all sweetness and light with her if she keeps taking advantage of what was initally me trying to be welcoming and friendly. I just hope there are no repercussions.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2006, 11:05:49 »
Just keep smiling, CC. All the time you are being pleasant but firm she should have no reason for repercussions. She's been jolly lucky for all your input so far, I'd say. Now she's got the hint (we hope) maybe all will be ok.
Does she know that there are loads of pallets to be had from any industrial estate?  ;D
Smile, it confuses people.

Common_Clay

• Acre
  • Loved
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2006, 15:30:04 »
Just keep smiling, CC. All the time you are being pleasant but firm she should have no reason for repercussions. She's been jolly lucky for all your input so far, I'd say. Now she's got the hint (we hope) maybe all will be ok.
Does she know that there are loads of pallets to be had from any industrial estate?  ;D

Thanks Emaggie, I hope you're right.
About the pallets, that's another reason I was so miffed, they're like gold-dust around here, everyone wants them but they're hard to come by. My Dad got me these by chance at his workplace.
I'll leave it until the end of the month and remind her halfway through or so that I'll be needing them back shortly. If she hasn't sorted it herself, and if I'm feeling kind, I'll throw a few stones on the tarp before reclaiming my pallets. What a pallava!

sally_cinnamon

• Acre
  • "A posse ad esse" - From possibility to actuality
    • Got a new website - still not finished!!
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2006, 16:52:58 »
I feel for you cc, I think it's ridiculous that you should even have to make stuff "look" like it's doing a job - for all she knew it could have been there for a reason already!

I wonder if she pilfers from peoples gardens on her way home - same thing isn't it?
Thank you to all who donated to the Moonlight Half Marathon Walk in aid of St Catherine's Hospice - my mum and I raised just over £300!!!    ............     Thanks!  :-)

Travman

• Half Acre
  • Castleford, West Yorkshire anybody near me
    • castown fc
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2006, 20:15:45 »
If your not doing anything with your weeds you could always give her them !!!

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2006, 22:56:04 »
Heeheehee,good idea, Travman. ;D
Smile, it confuses people.

Sherwood

• Not So New ...
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2006, 22:12:26 »
Bang out of order. I wouldn't try to be nice - tell her not to pinch your stuff. On our site she would be off

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal