Author Topic: 2006 - Japanese Onions  (Read 4896 times)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
2006 - Japanese Onions
« on: July 13, 2006, 14:06:33 »
Japanese Onion - Summer Gold;

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re: 2006 - Japanese Onions
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2006, 11:54:30 »
Over wintered onions (from sets) - Radar

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2006, 22:31:33 »
Senshyu Yellow from sets:

Caravan Holidays in Devon, come stay with us:

http://crablakefarm.co.uk/

I am now running a Blogg Site of my new Allotment:

http://sandersj89allotment.blogspot.com/

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2006, 20:07:32 »
Congrats it is so good to see onions with almost complete skins ,so often when we judge we find many people have removed the ripe skin and all we have left is white onions.

Senshyu Yellow from sets:

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2006, 22:55:36 »
Congrats it is so good to see onions with almost complete skins ,so often when we judge we find many people have removed the ripe skin and all we have left is white onions.

Ah, but is that the differance between showing and producing something that will store well?

Thanks though!

Jerry

the_snail

• Hectare
  • Be Kind to Slugs and Snails! :)
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2006, 13:39:21 »
My Japanese Onions Senshyu Yellow Planted in Late October 2005 and Harvested July 14th 2006.

The silver disk at the side of them in a ten pence piece, it is there to show the size of them which I must say is quite large. Larger than I expected.

The_Snail
« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 13:44:10 by the_snail »
Be kind to slugs and snails!

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2006, 13:43:35 »
Having seen Laurie & Jerry's comments I must ask the question;

Is this a competition??

If it is and had I known I would have approached the whole thing differently, for instance I would have displayed my onions like this;

and tomatoes like this;

As it is the three onions that I have displayed here were in the pot right after I took the picture.

This is not sour grapes far from it, as I see it this is a bit of fun that the inexperienced and experienced can partake in, plus the fact my competition days are long gone.

It is said; beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and quality should be of more importance than quantity.

For instance; I perhaps went through 20-30 onions to get these three and a similar amount of tomatoes, so this is a classic case of quality before quantity but it does not necessarily mean they taste any better than a mis-shape.

Whereas the three onions I first displayed were the first three of the season and these were picked primarily for the pot, and they were very tasty!

If it is a competition and I hope it is not, can someone display some rules please, including the matter of; if it is a 'veggie show' why is their fruit and flowers in the section?

Then again we could go for a section for 'as grown' and another as 'dressed' I think that would make for some interesting sights, what do you think?

I hope I haven't upset anyone with these comments its just Laurie comments were spot on if entering say the village show, whereas Jerry's comments are about........eating & storing' and mines are just an extension on both.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2006, 14:12:32 »
I see it as a bit of fun Tee Gee, and it is a good way of showing a huge range of fruits, veg and flowers, like a catalogue really, so people can see what is what, and ask questions.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2006, 15:23:50 »
My thoughts exactly EJ!

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2006, 15:35:22 »
Yikes, sorry if I have offended Tee Gee. It was just an observation as I find it difficult to reconcile show veg vs everyday veg.

I have huge repect for people who can grow amazing show veg but I look at those giant leeks or parsnips 4 foot long and cant help wonder what they eat like!

I fully agree with EJ, a great canvass for showing fruit and veg in all it's shapes and sizes and nice and easy for visitors to find them listed by name.

Not sure we need any rules unless we vote like we did 2 years ago.

Jerry

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2006, 20:51:00 »
This is all my fault I did not realize when I first saw the onions that it was really a photo site, but so often when we judge you find really good onions spoilt by being skinned. As far as the difference between growing onions for show or keeping the idea of showing is to encourage the growing of good crops which should be of a keeping quality. I used to do a lot of exhibiting but as a pro gardener the crops I grew had to store well for use in the house.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal