Author Topic: When do I start feeding my toms?  (Read 1099 times)

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
When do I start feeding my toms?
« on: June 02, 2006, 09:51:32 »
I have taken over some of the tomato growing this year. I usually leave these to my OH, but he tends to neglect them, so we are having a bit of a competition to see who fares best.  When do you start giving tomatoes a feed and how often do you do it?  I can't seem to get into the wiki to see whether there is any info there. busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re: When do I start feeding my toms?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 09:57:12 »
I believe you start to feed when the first truss is set, and then weekly.

MonsterMum

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 10:08:00 »
I asked this question not long agao, and Tim advised me that you should start to feed once the first fruit has set.  I'd paste the link to that thread but I don't know how, sorry  ???

Leonnie

• Acre
    • A Country Garden
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 10:35:19 »
I start feeding when the first flowers show, and feed weekly (when I remember) from then on. But my tomatoes are usually grown in pots, perhaps if they're in the ground they can wait longer before the first feed. This year they're outdoors in the ground, have flowers and I haven't started feeding yet.

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2006, 11:32:52 »
Mine are in pots in the greenhouse and have quite a few flowers on, so I think I will start feeding them now and then weekly.  Hope that is right! Thanks for all the feedback.  :) busy_lizzie

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2006, 12:08:12 »
I have to confess that the toms that are planted out on the allotment receive no feed at all!  The ground had compost and rotted manure dug in over the autumn and winter, other than that they have to fend for themselves!

wattapain

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2006, 07:40:19 »
Me too Emma - I do feed the ones in the g'house & sometimes the ones in the garden(though not as often as the books say ::)).
But as you say, the ground has been improved so they seem to cope OK.
Terri

carloso

• Acre
  • sprouts gimmie wind
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2006, 08:19:45 »
My Toms in the green house get a daily feed every time i water at a much reduced ratio of course but isnt little and often better than try to digest a big meal ?

My Tom's in the allotment may get treated to a little top up meal during there fruiting bit (home made secret combination given in three doses  all natural i might add) but other than that nothing speacial, As EJ said all the muck thats been dug etc and they are capped off with Grass cutting as a mulch they should hope fully be fine (where those last famous words lol)

carl
another member of i forgot my password

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2006, 09:45:51 »
Thanks for that info everyone.  Gives me some ideas.  :) busy_lizzie

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal