Author Topic: She's a mum!  (Read 6761 times)

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
She's a mum!
« on: May 25, 2006, 08:57:39 »
We've got babies, Aeyrn Sun is a mum!  ;D  ;D  ;D

Three beautiful little chicks last evening.  Having looked at the pictures just now I cropped the first picture of the eggs in the nest.  I literally quickly snapped it when Aeryn was out of the nest for a drink...on Tuesday night. I've now noticed that there is a hole in one of the eggs, so someone was hatching on Tuesday!

We are going up to the allotment today to check if there have been anymore. Read in book that after two days after the hatching date that the eggs left are either not fertile or have dead chicks inside. I hope I find more chicks...fingers crossed.

The three we have are distinctly different in their colouring. Two are the same and one is very much darker. Wish I knew which are which...hen/cockerel , not that I could do anything about it,just hoping that I get more hens than cockerels...but knowing my luck!

Dicky who gave us the eggs came for a look and was so chuffed that there had been some hatched. He said the eggs had been about a fortnight old and had been sitting in the shed on his lotty. Amazing eh!

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
Re: She's a mum!
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 09:26:09 »
Oh congrats lovely chicks.
I have heard of older eggs hatching on the PP forum, as long as the co*k and hen are in good shape and healthy this seems normal after 14 days fertility goes down.
Some say give other eggs up to 5 days after day 21 . but 3 days I think is enough if you cannot see or hear anything. Diffucult to candle down lottie there is a water test as well if you want to know I will find it for you.
good luck hope you have more.
With chicks the girls turn out like the dad and boys turn out like mum great if different breeds but same breed wait and see. Or use a needle another story.

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 09:37:52 »
 ;D

Awwwwwww Heldi, they are gorgeous! Congrats to everyone!!!

;)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 09:50:21 »
Well, any more?????

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2006, 10:07:23 »
Aren't they sweet! :D Well done :)
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

agapanthus

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2006, 11:18:17 »
Are they gorgeous or what????!!!!! Congrats Heldi. I hope I have the same luck on Fathers day......my brahma is sitting on 6 duck eggs at the moment!! ;D

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2006, 11:39:41 »
Takes me back to my childhood days when Mum always ket just a few chickens in the back garden. They are so gorgeous.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2006, 18:08:26 »
Ahhhhhhhh.....aren't they adorable? Love the bird in hand pix. Just 3 now or any more hatched yet?  And what will you do with them? And how's Bertha getting on?

Ahhhh. again,  thanks for the pix

Lish x

Money_Bunny

• Half Acre
    • Blogging in Bulgaria
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2006, 20:53:27 »
Wow soooo cute, I'd love to have some chickens and do have the space for them but one of our dogs hates all birds!!!

She always chases them and once swum over a mile on the loch at Lockerbie following a swan even though she hates water!

Anyway the OH has already said we have enough animals (just don't tell him that we may have another pony arriving next week lol  ;)  )
British Ex-pat now living and gardening in Bulgaria.

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2006, 21:05:43 »
Still only three I'm afraid but I'm very happy with the little ones I've got! The other eggs have been discarded after myself,OH and Dicky (who has kept all sorts of birds for years) agreed that they were probably not viable. Haven't checked them to see if there is anything inside,I would be upset to find a dead chick. Have listened intently all day to see if I could hear anything from the eggs but zilch.

What will we do with them... keep them!

We all stood for ages watching mother hen teaching the chicks to peck at the chick crumbs. She picked bit up,crushed it up in her beak then dropped it all on the floor and showed them how to peck it all up. They all got it eventually but the darkest one was the slowest to grasp the idea and she gave it a shove as if to say "pay attention!" The darkest one has little black stripes under its eyes,you can see it in the pictures. It is wonderful to watch,even OH is moved by the whole thing.  He keeps saying "How does she know? She's not even a year old yet,how does she know?!"

I'm going camping tomorrow so Dicky is looking after the hens.

The outside run is finished and Dennis is made up to be back with the girls!  ;)  We turfed him out of his room to give the chicks and mum a bigger space.

Bertha is doing very well. Sitting nicely. Haven't seen her off the nest at all but I know she has had a break for a snack and a stretch because of poop on the floor...nice!  Her chicks are due June 4th. I'm looking forward to seeing how big they are!

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2006, 08:21:43 »
...the darkest one was the slowest to grasp the idea'.......so that's a male then ;D ;D ;D

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2006, 12:18:43 »
...the darkest one was the slowest to grasp the idea'.......so that's a male then ;D ;D ;D
I thought that too AM  ;D ;D

How on earth did I miss this, Heldi they are gorgeous, your children must be loving it too I would think.  Keep us posted as to their progress.

MM x

Gardners son

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2006, 22:36:39 »
Congrats Aeryn and what a name?! Is the thingy called Crichton or KaDargo? Don;t know if thats how you spell KaDargo but that's how you say it... I'm sure you get what I mean anyway... YAY FARSCAPE

Chris

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2006, 22:41:45 »
absolutely fantastic heldi.  superp pics.  well done to everyone involved  ;D
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2006, 12:40:59 »
Haha Lish and MM....I had the very same thought outloud to my OH about the slowest being a male heeheehee! Hope it is a bloke actually because then there will be only one male and two hens instead of the other way round.

Must do the needle thing eileen ,if Aeryn will let me ! She is a fab mother. We returned form camping and went straight to the lotty before home to see how they all were doing...they are really strong and mum is doing her job perfectly.

Gardeners son,Chris..hello! A fellow Farscape fan...woo hoo! She was called Aeryn Sun because she is a hen with attitude :o  :D . I also have three BlueBelles called Zhaan ,Chiana and Sikozu and another Cuckoo Maran called Jool. Nope,no Crichton or Ka D'Argo.  :D

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2006, 16:06:05 »
Awwwwwwww!  :)
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2006, 20:52:43 »
Latest pics. They are 12 days old.  Haven't they changed...proper little wings!

The first photo is to show you how difficult it is to get them on camera! He/she actually flew off my arm...don't worry not a long way downas I was sat on the floor. Not that it would seem to matter.OH found one sat on the perch the other day and we just dont know how it got up there!

Aeryn is still doing a fab job. I'm still very taken with her showing them how to scritch and scratch about.  ;D

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2006, 21:00:55 »
Heldi thanks for lovely pics and they are just so cute. :)  You must be so proud of mum she is doing such a great job. 
When are the orp eggs due to hatch?

MM

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2006, 21:07:22 »
They are here MM !  Hatched yesterday...look in "Bertha's a mum too!"  Have just posted some pics.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2006, 22:39:59 »
Lovely pics Heldi. Like children they grow up too quickly ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal