Author Topic: ??Offered or Wanted?? Is it gone yet?  (Read 1853 times)

greenfingered fiend

• Not So New ...
  • It's not much - but it's mine!!!
??Offered or Wanted?? Is it gone yet?
« on: May 17, 2006, 19:03:25 »
Just a suggestion really.

First of all I want to offer my apologies. I know I'm new to this website but I'm not new to forums.

Could I suggest that if you are offering something you put "Offered" and likewise if you want something put "Wanted".

Also when the item is gone perhaps change the subject title to show "GONE".

Just an idea!

I might have a few bits to offer myself soon (mainly mature asparagus) so watch this space (Can't promise).

GF.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
Re: ??Offered or Wanted?? Is it gone yet?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 20:09:45 »
Hi GF.  I see your point but this is supposed to be a swap shop and traditionally we say what we have to spare and what we would like in return.  However, many of us from time to time have spare stuff and want nothing in return or post a plea for something we desire.  I think in these cases your suggestions would be fine and for the 'traditional' posts we could say SWAP.  But this is changing the intended use of the swap shop  and I think we'd better wait to see what Dan thinks.

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

greenfingered fiend

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 21:58:52 »
I realise that this is for swaps and that was the point I'm trying to make. These words (Offered and Wanted) should be visible in the subject line.

People don't seem to say until you go in to the thread.

If someone just says "magic beans" in the subject - you then have to go in to the thread to see if that if what someone wants or is giving away.

If you see they are being offered you can choose to ignore it because you don't want beans as you too may have surplus yourself (and vice versa).

I think that's what I'm trying to say.

GF.

sallylockhart

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2006, 10:50:05 »
I don't mind looking at all the posts - this isn't a really OTT active topic so it doesn't take much time.

Also, I get freecycle emails from my local forum, and tend to just delete the 'wanted' ones - callous of me I know, but 'wanted' adds don't seem as friendly as the wish lists people post on here, plus if we stuck to a 'wanted' / 'offered' format I would have to post 2 emails every time I wanted to swop something, which would be annoying and confusing for all as the posts shift around and the 2 posts would become separated.

So I'm with georgie here I'm afraid - lets keep it informal.

sl

ps - I would look at a post that said 'magic beans' regardless of whether it had 'offered' or 'wanted' in the subject line too - very exciting!  :o
"I grant indeed that fields and flocks have charms,
For him that gazes or for him that farms."

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2006, 11:29:32 »
I think GF's got a good idea 8) and, after all, I read all sorts of boards for the entertainment/interest value alone......pets? haven't got any....chickens, etc? ditto.....non-edibles? why ::)

So in principle I agree, tho wouldn't like anyone to be shouted at if they didn't......I too would love to see what the enigmatic 'magic beans' was all about ;D

greenfingered fiend

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2006, 22:00:38 »
I was only an idea - I don't mind!

GF

By the way I got given some of those beans - I well got in to trouble. I got in to a fight with this huge bloke as a result. And I'm six foot four!!!

Perhaps I should be GG - Greenfingered Giant.

scotch-mist

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2006, 00:07:23 »
Could have been worse,

It could have been magic mushrooms :o

;D ;D ;D
UNDER PRESSURE (constantly)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal