Author Topic: plug and play  (Read 1898 times)

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
plug and play
« on: March 28, 2006, 15:05:52 »
is there anyway that plug and play could ahve been disabled on my pc?

im running windows xp and bought a USB headset but it wouldnt work on my pc, on tyring it on my second pc, millenium edition, it worked fine.

ive had similar problems in the past with the plug and play facility.

if it has bene disabled some how? how do i turn it back on?

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
Re: plug and play
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2006, 15:33:37 »
I'm not sure plug and play could be disabled accidentally. Download the programme from http://grc.com/files/unpnp.exe and run to check whether your P&P is enabled. The FBI currently suggests that P&P be disabled except when you install something as it provides major security loopholes. If you have XP SP2 you may need to do an update as there have been problems with P&P between certain updates.

ChrisH

• Quarter Acre
    • http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/enable/index.htm
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2006, 20:17:24 »
You could try;

click Start > Settings then click Control Panel. Click Administrative Tools, and then click Component Services.

Click on 'Services (Local)', then click once on one of the names in the list and press 'p'.

Find the 'Plug and Play' option and double click.

Make sure the Startup Type is 'Automatic'

Diesel

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2006, 20:59:02 »
djbrenton I think you are getting confused between plug and play and universal plug and play.Adam is looking for advice on plug and play when he plugs a usb device into his machine, I doubt the FBI will advise you to disable it, UPNP is what you are decribing,this is more concerned with network (and internetwork) connectivity and may cause compromises to machine security.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2006, 21:01:56 by Diesel »

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2006, 22:24:22 »
everything seems to be ok on that front.  anyone any other ideas on what could be the problem?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal