Author Topic: Mixing summer and winter crops  (Read 1286 times)

willybell

• Not So New ...
Mixing summer and winter crops
« on: March 01, 2006, 21:00:47 »
Hello,
      am new to allotmenteering, it's my first year and am planning what to put in. I read on another thread that parsnips can be planted alongside Little Gem lettuce to make good use of the beds in both summer and winter. Are there any other suitable combinations? For example I'd like to grow spring cabbage but want to make full use of the beds while they are still small. Can different cabbage types be mixed (e.g. autumn and spring)?

Thanks.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
Re: Mixing summer and winter crops
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2006, 23:37:44 »
Hello and welcome willybell  :D Yes, spring cabbage is great for intercropping/catch cropping. I have intercropped spring cabbage with beetroot, lettuce, nasturtium and tomato - in the latter case, the tomatoes will take over the bed when you crop the spring cabbage. My Booke says that cabbage will also enjoy growing with carrot, celery, cucumber, dill, dwarf bean, kale, mint, the onion family, potato, rosemary, sage, spinach, and thyme.

Cabbages will enjoy growing with other cabbage family plants for different seasons, but you will a) need crop protection at times of year when they are vulnerable to pests if you grow them all together, and b) want to watch for soil-borne diseases - it would be a shame to lose them all if you have e.g. club root, so spreading your risk - and your crop - might be a better risk if you're at all unsure.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2006, 23:42:06 by supersprout »

willybell

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2006, 19:50:10 »
Thanks supersprout, I'll give it a go. If I want to plant out spring cabbage started in trays or a seedbed, when should I do that?
Hopefully there'll be time to produce a crop of lettuce or baby beet in the meantime.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2006, 19:55:39 »
I was given small spring cabbage plants by a neighbouring lottie holder in November and planted them out straight away (like he told me to ;D). They have been covered with mesh and are quite big now, but not showing signs of hearting up yet. February's KG magazine has a really useful feature on kale and cabbage which has year-round planting/transplanting times in it for different types. They are hardy plants, so will tolerate cold.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2006, 19:58:10 by supersprout »

LesH

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2006, 23:54:16 »
If you want to start spring cabbage off in seed trays now is the time to do it. Use primo or golden acre and you should be cutting them  mid July

Ricado

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2006, 19:19:18 »
A very versatile cabbage is Advantage F1, this is available from mr fothergills, and can be sown most of the year round, and the same with harvesting, depending how firm hearts you want.

Ive found that gien the right moisture, you can harvest the main cabbage, and then a small crop of sideshoots 3- 4 small cabbages will grow in replacement of the main head.

I would also advise you to grow calabrese early - it is the easiest crop ever.  Try an f1, such as marathon f1 and you cant go wrong.  Later in the year is harder when cabbage whites are around, but sown now you should get an excellent crop.  Ive never had a problem with calabrese.

good luck

ricado  :)
growing, growing, growing, growing, growing ...sleeping

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal