Author Topic: Networking  (Read 1799 times)

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
Networking
« on: February 19, 2006, 12:02:13 »
Hi all,

Now got two PC's sat on my desk. I want them both to be connected to the internet. i knw a bit about routers, but some more explaination on this would be great.

Is there any other way or just puttin the internet onto both PC's without a router?

Also how complicated is networking the two PC's so i can share files etc cross the two PC's? what is involved? would it mean i need to run one PC all the time when the other PC is on for the internet?

Regards, Adam

Conzla

• Not So New ...
Re: Networking
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2006, 20:17:02 »
Hi Adam

You need both computers to have networking cards this is the easiest and fastest method, a crossover cable this is like a normal networking cable but the cable is  reversed on the one side. Then use the networking wizard on windows XP(if your using it) to share the internet connection. Then whatever files you want to share on the network right click on the file and goto properties and sharing click share this file on the network. This way is limited because the two computers still have to be connected via the cat5 cable. Another easy method is a wireless router which i use and quite happily connect to the internet anywhere in the house and am still able to share files between all computers. Hope this helps any other questions let me know.

Mark

Diesel

• Half Acre
Re: Networking
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2006, 09:18:25 »
Adam

you will need to have the host machine (the one whihc is phsyically connected to the internet) on when you want to go online with the other.I would advise on buying a cheap router to handle the networking.
Have a read up on ICS with windows (Internet Connection Sharing)

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics/
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/learnmore/default.mspx

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal