Author Topic: Thought it might be helpful to list quick veg?  (Read 3691 times)

Common_Clay

• Acre
  • Loved
Re: Thought it might be helpful to list quick veg?
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2006, 18:58:39 »
Hmm, very confused Tim, Joy Larkcom's 'Grow Your Own Vegetables' definately calls it 'Chinese Cabbage' and can be planted late summer to crop autumn/early winter. A bit premature maybe to think of now, but thought this was a generalized thread on what grows quick(er), lol.

Common_Clay

• Acre
  • Loved
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2006, 18:59:40 »
sorry, 'planted' should be replaced with 'sown'.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2006, 19:21:22 »
De- 'fuse',CC.

Yes - nicely within my 8-12 week idea but, to my mind, a 2lb cabbage can hardly be called cca??

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2006, 19:24:32 »
Oriental veg, now you're talking CC! Especially good for sowing when/where other things have been harvested, in early Autumn - they grow so fast, thinnings can be et, and they won't bolt. Plus many overwinter happily and fill the Hungry Gap.
Tim, those are the healthiest Chinese cabbage/greens I've ever seen - how do you keep the bugs off! :o
The OGC list of oriental greens is at http://www.organiccatalog.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=21_22_210_28
« Last Edit: February 28, 2006, 19:34:02 by supersprout »

Common_Clay

• Acre
  • Loved
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2006, 22:59:38 »
what does De- 'fuse' mean?

No idea, Tim, sorry! Never grown it before, just finding enthusiasm reading that Joy Larkcom book mentioned that I bought the other day, and it's her who's talking about them being CCA and fast, don't shoot the messenger!!!  ;D

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2006, 07:17:30 »
CC - I now have to say defuse in its normal sense.  What I meant was un-confuse yourself, given my explanation. I was not lecturing - I'm not like that.

However, since you confirm that Joy says CCA,  no wonder you think I'm a twit. But I truly cannot see how you can cut a 2lb cabbage & recut later. I'm very open to being put right on that.

Sprout - Oriental veg? That's what I mean by Chinese Greens. Great value. Oh, & strangely, no bugs!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2006, 07:22:00 by tim »

Common_Clay

• Acre
  • Loved
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2006, 12:47:24 »
Hi Tim! Stress not, I don't for a second think you're a twit  :-\ I'm more aware that I probably look the idiot, lol. The Chinese Cabbage is said to be 'excellent for CCA cropping at a semi-mature stage under cover in winter'. Also says that a quick crop of CCA seedlings is often feasible in spring. This is for seedlings though and not for the headed crop.
 :)

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2006, 16:22:14 »
We learn every day!!

the_snail

• Hectare
  • Be Kind to Slugs and Snails! :)
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2006, 16:32:29 »
This is a quote from http://www.urbanext.uiuc.edu/veggies/cabbage1.html

From the Harvest Sectoin.

Cabbage can be harvested anytime after the heads form. For highest yield, cut the cabbage heads when they are solid (firm to hand pressure) but before they crack or split. When heads are mature, a sudden heavy rain may cause heads to crack or split wide open. The exposed internal tissue soon becomes unusable. Harvest and salvage split heads as soon as possible after they are discovered.

In addition to harvesting the mature heads of the cabbage planted in the spring, you can harvest a later crop of small heads (cabbage sprouts). These sprouts develop on the stumps of the cut stems. Cut as close to the lower surface of the head as possible, leaving the loose outer leaves intact. Buds that grow in the axils of these leaves (the angle between the base of the leaf and the stem above it) later form sprouts. The sprouts develop to 2 to 4 inches in diameter and should be picked when firm. Continue control of cabbage worms and other pests.

The_Snail
Be kind to slugs and snails!

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2006, 16:36:19 »
Indeed - but I always want to get the ground cleared!!

So is that how Chinese Cabbage does it?

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2006, 10:12:49 »
That's how our tough native cabbage is supposed to do it (I've tried but lost patience, and wonder if it's an Urban Myth >:(). For Chinese Cabbage/greens to cut and come again, they have to be wee and never grow to full size because at some point they lose heart after all that cutting. So you have to decide whether you're going to grow your gorgeous full size cabbage (which I never have tim - maybe this year, inspired by your photos) or just for cca. You have to leave some of the lower leaves for cca, don't cut off the whole thing to the root at ground level or they will die (voice of experience :-[ ;)). It helps to cover the crop with mesh to stop rain splash, unless you want to wash the leaves forever (like spinach) and still find grit in them. Or just pull alternate seedlings to thin and eat the thinnings, but that's not true cca is it.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2006, 10:16:43 by supersprout »

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2006, 10:53:38 »
True!!

the_snail

• Hectare
  • Be Kind to Slugs and Snails! :)
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2006, 12:10:57 »
That's how our tough native cabbage is supposed to do it (I've tried but lost patience, and wonder if it's an Urban Myth ).

Supersprout it is not a urban myth as I have seen it done on our allotment site and it works. I personally have not done it.

The_Snail
Be kind to slugs and snails!

Common_Clay

• Acre
  • Loved
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2006, 12:45:30 »
Seen what done on allotments? I'm sorry, I seem to have lost the plot with this thread...  ???

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2006, 13:11:46 »
He he see what you started cc. Cutting a cross in the cabbage stump (british cabbage) left after harvesting your cabbage to get cabbage sprouts. I wish, all I get is a bed full of mutilated cabbage stumps :-X. Maybe the wrong type of cabbage or knife or wrong phase of the moon  :-[

Common_Clay

• Acre
  • Loved
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2006, 13:21:58 »
Ah, thanks supersprout (and yes, am wondering what I've started, lol). Didn't know you could do that with cabbages. I've heard in passing about doing certain gardening things to coincide with the phases on the moon, do you know much about it? :)

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2006, 14:01:19 »
Am a beginner in many ways including phases of moon cc, but will be taking it far more seriously this year and planting when I can at planting times, respecting flower, leaf etc. if I can. Even if it's hooey, it seems to work for some folks, so why not? 2006 Calendar at http://www.ommas-aarden.net/lunar_garden.06.htm :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal