Author Topic: My Spuds Have Arrived!!!  (Read 6414 times)

Plottie

• Half Acre
  • MMM , Raspberries !!!
Re: My Spuds Have Arrived!!!
« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2005, 13:18:30 »
Hurrah....mine arrived from Alan Romans this morning.  I've taken them out of their nets (as instructed) and placed them im a cool dark place (my cellar0 for now...does seem very early for delivery but I'm sure AR knows his tatties so am happy to follow his directions

I'm off now to make my Christmas flapjack and put another load in the washing machine!...MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL

Plottie

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2005, 14:10:17 »
Kitchen Garden is all about food production and cooking whereas GYO is about smallholding and chooks etc.  KG does have a monthly column about chickens though.  GYO is a bit posh aye faynd  ;D
I came, I saw, I composted

MutantHobbit

• Half Acre
  • There's a bl**dy great big plane near my allotment
« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2005, 20:59:49 »
Oh well, GYO suits me down to the ground then, one being a cut above the rest, what?  Now where did that dratted monocle get to...

Believe that and you'll believe anything ::) ;D

Sheldon, Birmingham.  I've put the pin on Google Earth where my shed is, in the allotments.  It's in an area with a satellite photo which is cool!  You can't miss it, there's a bl**dy great big Airport next door!

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2005, 21:21:49 »
Ey up Mute!  Have a gleg at KG mag I think you'll like it.  It's less posh than the other one.  I mean £700 eglus what's that abaart? 

Merry Chitting what! 

Wardy  ;D
I came, I saw, I composted

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2005, 23:39:46 »
I have not read either so I cannot comment. I have never really been one for magazines ...

Derekthefox

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2005, 19:52:28 »
Robert

The RHS Encyclopedia says ' for large early potatoes leave only 3 sprouts per plant rubbing off the others.'         It does then say ' Otherwise the more sprouts per tuber the higher the yield.

Who wants large earlies - the small ones have the best flavour.

There is no general rule about whether or not to rub out shoots but the RHS book is correct - the smaller the number of of shoots the smaller the number of tubers and the larger they will be be.

I grow around 30 varieties and don't rub out any shoots, neither does my friend who grows over 300 and together we won an RHS Gold medal for our display.

The "dark" bit doesn't seem like a good idea as when they start to sprout (the time varies from variety to variety) they need light or will prodcue spindly sprouts. So unless you check them every day put them in a cool well lit place and watch out for aphids - spray with soft soap solution if you see any!

Phil

terrace max

• Hectare
« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2005, 19:56:03 »
Is it just me who finds a cool, frost-free, light, dry place quite hard to find around their home?
I travelled to a mystical time zone
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2005, 20:27:29 »
No.  I do.  I tend to use the end of our shared passage as it has a window above it but I have to watch for damp under the door.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #48 on: January 01, 2006, 21:24:48 »
Is it just me who finds a cool, frost-free, light, dry place quite hard to find around their home?

TM,

No one said gardening was easy!!  ;)

Phil

Try turning the heating off in the kids bedroom?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal