Author Topic: Animal cruelty  (Read 2584 times)

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
Animal cruelty
« on: December 05, 2005, 21:28:24 »
A friend of mine works as a care assistant for the elderly, visiting them in their homes to give personal care.  One of her clients has alzheimers and was apparently quite set back when her dog died a year ago.  Her family decided to get her a rescue dog but the charity, having visited the house, decided the woman was in no fit state to care for an animal.  So the family went out and bought her a puppy instead.   :(  Needless to say this poor animal is not well cared for, in fact it is totally neglected and in need of urgent vetinary care.  My friend is very upset about this but social services have very strict rules about their staff 'not getting involved'.  She's already taken it upon herself to walk the dog during her lunchtime which apparently she shouldn't do.  She's tried being diplomatic with the family to no avail and is getting very upset on behalf of the poor animal.  I said I wouldn't hesitate to contact the RSPCA but then it's not my job that's on the line.  What should she do?

G xx
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
Re: Animal cruelty
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2005, 22:43:45 »
Phone the RSPCA immediately please Georgie.Don`t let the poor creature suffer any longer, it must have help, PLEASE.

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2005, 22:47:21 »
I have to agree with rosebud - it's the same with children, for the sake of the victim, report first, think later.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2005, 22:50:13 »
I agree with the rest Georgie.  You cant let the dog suffer any more.  Get her to phone the RSPCA tomorrow.

>:( >:( >:( >:(

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2005, 23:12:09 »
Thanks for your support.  I'll ring her tomorrow and reaffirm what I always thought was the right thing to do.

G xx
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2005, 23:47:41 »
Georgie. I feel for your friend but the poor animal has to be rescued. What a stupid family,  you would expect them to visit at least daily and see that the poor animal is well looked after  Even then I still think it is stupid to get this poor lady an animal to look after.

joji

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2005, 06:54:09 »
You can phone the R.S.P.C.A. Anonymously. You are not bound by the fact that you have to give your name & address. If she is worried about losing her job then she could get another member of her family to report it. Just saying that they saw the dog out and followed the person home to get the address. :)

Delilah

• Hectare
  • its OK to be slightly cracked!
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2005, 09:40:17 »
I ditto Joji sentiments - could you possibly ring RSPCA ?
If you don't make mistakes, you'll never make anything!

Delilah

• Hectare
  • its OK to be slightly cracked!
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2005, 16:52:25 »
Good God Wardy I know we all hear these things on the news but I am a little naive and have a tendancy to bury my head - a story like that just make me stop and think, then worry about the world we live in :(
If you don't make mistakes, you'll never make anything!

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2005, 17:15:57 »
My mate had a similar dilemma but this related to a baby being left home alone!  The baby was still in nappies and the mother left the child alone while she went to work and my mate who was making a house call for the council revenues dept found her.  The child had deposited stuff through the letterbox so it was on the doorstep when my friend called, eg toys and a wet nappy which the baby had removed from itself.  She called to the baby who came to the letterbox and she asked where mummy was.  My friend thought that mum might be injured, dead, asleep etc.  She looked through all windows and could see no sign of her.  She was with her supervisor at the time and my friend wanted to phone the police but the supervisor said they weren't allowed to get involved.  My friend said stuff that and got the police.  She said she could not walk away from that child so she followed her instinct. 
I hope that was a few years ago.  Now it is negligent for any public servant not to report such things.  How many inquiries have we had highlighting how this lack of communication and 'it's got nothing to with me' has led to the deaths and serious injuries of innocent children?
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal