Author Topic: Lucky Bamboo plant.  (Read 2454 times)

Annadl

• Half Acre
  • Anna from Downunder.
Lucky Bamboo plant.
« on: November 27, 2005, 14:45:17 »
I have had a bamboo plant growing indoors for nearly a year.  It's grown quite tall and the leaves were very green until recently.  I was watering it about once a week if that.

The leaves have now withered and gone yellow but the soil did not feel dry.
I gave it the liquid fertilizer that I use on it occasionally and then my MIL really watered it the next day.  It has been a week and the soil is still very wet and more than half of the leaves are dying.

Any idea what caused the problem in the first place and whether it can be saved?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Wish I had an allotment.  I love A4A.

Lily

• Acre
  • When the going gets tough, hide in the allotment.
Re: Lucky Bamboo plant.
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2005, 13:36:59 »
Don't know anything about Bamboo.  Would it be worth changing the soil and repotting.  Can it be cut back at all?

Lily
' A problem shared is a problem halved'

Annadl

• Half Acre
  • Anna from Downunder.
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2005, 14:17:30 »
Hi Lily

I haven't got a clue. :-\

Lily

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2005, 14:34:33 »
A year or two back a friend of mine brought me back some Orchids from Thailand.  With it was a piece of Bamboo.  It rooted in the water but then died off when I put it in the greenhouse in Winter.  I know that doesn't help, but thought I'd tell you anyway.  Sorry.  Is it too cold, must be your summer in Australia.

Lily

Annadl

• Half Acre
  • Anna from Downunder.
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2005, 14:42:23 »
Apparently bamboo grows 'wild' out in the wild.

Lily

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2005, 14:49:54 »
I found this on Google, might be worth looking at.

http://www.bamboo-oz.com.au/FAQ.html

Lily

Lily

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2005, 14:52:23 »
The following is a quote from that link

When the culm has reached full height branches will start to appear and depending on species a new shoot can be fully developed within three months.

During the shooting stage the new culm will be at least 85% water and it is imperative that sufficient water is supplied to fill these vertical liquid columns.

William O

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2005, 18:02:22 »
Lucky Bamboo isn't bamboo but a type of dracaena.. (might be worth to check the spelling). A house plant that tends to shed its lower leaves and that doesn't like big temperature drops during the night.... 8)
Happy Gardening

Lady Cosmos

• Acre
  • Lady of the dunes
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2005, 19:11:02 »
Do you really mean a LUCKY bamboo?  That is indeed no bamboo but an dacaena sanderana. You can buy those in every nursery. They grow here in the Netherlands not in soil but in 5 cm water. They need light but no direct sunlight. need only water, no fertilizer. (Special) Water need to be changed every 3-4 weeks. But if the leaves are getting yellow..... >:( >:( I should take a cutting right above a node, put it in water and let it root.

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2005, 21:24:20 »
Hi Anndl, i had the very same plant which was a real treat then after about 10mths it gave up the ghost, it was well looked after but went yellow and just died so maybe they just do that after so long. :)

Lily

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2005, 11:50:36 »
dracaena sanderiana

After checking Google, I realise I have got some of them in a vase of water in the bathroom. I have had them for nearly a year.  I don't think you plant them in soil.  I only have enough water to cover the roots.  Try cutting off the base and placing the stem in a vase of water, I think it may also need plenty of light as mine is on the bathroom window sill getting the best of the day light, even in winter.  The link below will give you some pictures.

http://mgonline.com/luckybamboo.html

Lily

Annadl

• Half Acre
  • Anna from Downunder.
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2005, 13:35:56 »
Thankyou all for your replies. 

It is a dacaena.  I bought it potted up in a tall pot & it has doubled in height in the last 10 months.  So I can't put it in water.  I have cut the brown leaves off and put it in a shadier part of the house and will leave it for a while.  The stem looks OK so it might recover.

I'll let you know how it goes.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal