Author Topic: Chilli Jam  (Read 3756 times)

Yorkshire Lass

• Acre
Chilli Jam
« on: September 07, 2005, 21:39:59 »
Does anyone have a recipe for Chilli Jam, please?
I have grown lots of chillies, peppers and tomatoes this year and want to try something different.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re: Chilli Jam
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2005, 22:14:17 »
I made one a few weeks back, made it up as I went along!

Chopped up a dozen or so chillis coursely and put them in the preserving pan.  Had a bucket full of windfall apples, peeled, cored and cleaned then up and chopped them coursely, weighed them, and plonked them in the preserving pan with some water - not enough to cover, but enough to go up about half way.  I brought this to the boil, then let simmer for about 40minutes until the apples were very very soft.  I then used a potato masher and gave the mush a really good bashing to get maximum flavour from the chillis.  Now if you want jelly, you could now pass this mash though a jelly bag, I didn't bother as I wanted more of a jam.  Then, for every pound of apples I used, I added a pound of sugar, brought this to a rolling boil and bubbled until it reached setting.  HOWEVER - apples and sugar catch so very very quickly so you can't afford to leave it.  Mine did almost catch so turned a honey colour, which I didn't mind at all!  ONce setting was reached I poured it into sterile jars, poked a whole chilli in the middle to look sexy, sealed and labeled!

Hope this rambling helps.  ;D

Yorkshire Lass

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2005, 08:16:45 »
Thanks I'll give that a try.   :)

Yorkshire Lass

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2005, 22:34:23 »
Thanks EJ - made the chilli jam today - went a bit mad on the chillies- it's hotttt! :o
Wonderful flavour though.  :)

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2005, 22:53:12 »
Sounds gorgeous Emma, another one for me to have a go at, enjoy the avatar by the way  ;)

Derekthefox  :D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2005, 13:43:33 »
Glad it worked okay Yorkshire Lass, as I said, I made it up as I went along so to hear it worked for someone else means it wasn't a fluke!  ;D  Works great on a pizza, spread that first onto the base (as much as you dare!) then the toms and so on...for a pizza with a sweet hot bite!

Derek, very handsome picture!  :-*

bananagirl

• Half Acre
    • Bananagirl's Blog
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2005, 17:57:09 »
Chilli jam and cream cheese on a bit of fresh bread...lovely...and the cream cheese will help cut down the heat if it's a bit much ;)
Nothing rhymes with orange...
http://downamongtheflowers.blogspot.com/

Beryl

• Not So New ...
    • The Saunders Allotment
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2005, 18:57:26 »
Tomato Chilli Jam

1 llb Toms roughly chopped
8 oz Demerara Sugar
1 inch root Ginger peeled and roughly chopped
1 Tbl fish sauce
1 Tbl Balsamic vinegar
2 Cloves Garlic peeled and roughly chopped
1 1/2 Red Chillies, deseeded and roughly chopped.
2 fluid oz of Red wine Vinegar.
Method:
1.Put half of the Toms along with the Chillies,Garlic and Ginger in a Blender/Food processor and blitz to a liquid, put in a lagish pan.
2. Put the other half of Toms in the Blender and Pulse until finely chopped but so that you can still see individual pieces, add to the pan along with the Sugar and Vinegars.
3. Slowly bring to the boil stirring all the time, then skim off any scum that is on the surface and lower to a gentle simmer for 30-40 minutes until the volume has reduced by about half.
4. Leave to cool a bit then put into clean jars. will keep in the fridge for about 3 months.

Beryl.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal