Author Topic: funding sources?  (Read 3305 times)

organicartist

• Quarter Acre
funding sources?
« on: July 19, 2005, 13:18:57 »
Hi all

I'm new to this site, and hope you'll be able to help.

Our allotment site has real vandalism problems - people have had their cars broken into while working just 100 meters away on their plots. (cars were INSIDE locked allotment site???!) Cars have also been damaged by rocks and bricks being thrown, sheds are broken into and set on fire, all glass is broken, vegetables are stolen and damaged etc. There is a 6 foot high gate which is kept locked, and site is surrounded by tall hedges and mature trees on all sides, but the fencing is only about 4 foot high wire & split poles. Because of the trees, the site is completely screened from view, which lets the kids run riot because they know no one will see them.

The site is council run (Peterborough Council), but they are unwilling to provide any funding towards security fencing although they acknowledge the problem. Our allotment secretary doesn't believe that much can be done, but has welcomed my efforts to find funding. We have about 40 plots & 30 plot holders, (several people have more than one plot), age range from 30 - 70+, a mix of nationalities, able bodied & disabled gardeners.

Anyone advice on possible funding sources gratefully received. I would like to turn the allotments into a real community resource, something to be proud of in our rather rough area, but I'm new to fund raising.

Many thanks
Lisa

organicartist

• Quarter Acre
Re: funding sources?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2005, 07:37:54 »
Thanks so much for that great information Wardy!

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2005, 10:19:59 »
If you go to your local CVS they will do a funderfinder search for you fOC and you'll end up with a list of possible funders.

adamreith

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2005, 23:57:30 »
If you go to: www.farmgarden.org.uk/ari an look up "Money Maize" you will find a guide to finding funds.  They are about to issue a second edition of this. They can also point you in the direction of your local ARI Mentor.

sid

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2006, 10:32:14 »
hi if u go to www.diy.co.uk that is B&Q they give out grants of 5 thousend but it has to b used on matreals only and u have to do the work your self we have just applyed 4 it its wort a go

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2006, 18:01:33 »
Have you considered the local area panels, we have got several thousand a time two or three time in the decade I've been treasurer. Awards for all (Lottery) have also stumped up £5,000.

tilts

• Acre
  • Boom Boom boom Boom Esso blue!
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2006, 21:35:38 »
If only we could get the b"*&^%$£s who do this to have a competition related to allotments, versus a group of the same like minded individuals from another town.  They might see that it takes work and dedication to achieve and in future may not be so inclined to vandalise allotments or other areas of recreation. 
Alternatively, get the parents involved.
uuuummmmmm, maybe not!
Tread softly or you'll tread on my dreams.....Yeats

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal