Author Topic: When does it going to rain!  (Read 2645 times)

Yuet_Lee

• Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
When does it going to rain!
« on: July 13, 2005, 01:01:34 »
All my plot are very very dry :( My vegetables & plants look very sick :'(. Please rain !!!Shall we dance to make it rain ;)
All my water butts are dry up!  yuet

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: When does it going to rain!
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2005, 08:04:30 »
I like the 'collectors'!

Charlotte Sometimes

• Half Acre
  • Charlie
    • Charlie's Homepage
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2005, 11:40:06 »
I know the problem!

I shall have arms like Popeye from carrying the darned watering can if this carries on!  :o  No sooner have I watered than everything looks wilted again.  My raised beds are very dry.  I am thriving in this weather, but the plants are looking very stressed!

Dance? In this heat?!?!  :P

Cha cha?  Tango?  I wonder what's most effective, lol.  ;D
Interests: Vegetables, Annuals & Songwriting.  Click here to listen to Charlie's songs.

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2005, 11:42:18 »
If you all wait till the week of the 23rd, it should pour then, we are off to the great British seaside for 7 days, now where is my cagoule n wellies??????
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2005, 11:44:48 »
Charlotte - I find that a light trolley works wonders.

A can of water weighs 20lb & that's getting to my limit!!

Sad?

Charlotte Sometimes

• Half Acre
  • Charlie
    • Charlie's Homepage
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2005, 12:16:06 »
That's a good idea, Tim.  On my budget, I might well end up using a different trolley, lol.  One "reclaimed" from a local water course?  Plenty of those round here.  ::) :D

I guess we are playing the longer game at the moment - we just spent £30+ on water butts, but they can take up to a month to arrive (Thames water ones).  We have two points of collection - leanto and car port, and are planning on rigging up a trickle watering system for the raised beds.  Wish I had thought of this earlier!

We don't even have a wheelbarrow, which I guess is really "sad", lol.  20lbs is heavy - I ended up visualising that weight by comparing it to babies - 5-7lbs normally aren't they?  No wonder my biceps are bulging.  :o

I'll put my thinking cap on, and keep an eye out for something that can be adapted.  Worst case, Homebase do a budget wheelbarrow for not too much.  It looks likely to fall apart in a nanosecond, but maybe it would do for a while.  I really should be more careful, despite the biceps, I'm a delicate little flower!
Interests: Vegetables, Annuals & Songwriting.  Click here to listen to Charlie's songs.

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2005, 13:01:41 »
Charlotte, I got a decentish wheelbarrow at our local tip for a couple of quid, might be worth a look. (that is if yours sell on stuff like ours does!)
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Charlotte Sometimes

• Half Acre
  • Charlie
    • Charlie's Homepage
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2005, 20:22:25 »
Doris, I don't know if they do that at our local tip - but I can find out.  I was thinking of keeping an eye on the skips round here, for anything with wheels on!

Thank goodness we've just had a few showers here this evening, so that has given me the evening off.  ;)

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2005, 20:51:16 »
It's been like the sahara here today ! quite unbearable !  In fact I have spent the evening watering myself with IPA and then I just had to lie down ...  ::) ;D  It's nearly 9pm and still boiling hot !  I hate it !
My OH has watered the garden for me  ;D  He is such a darling.  :D ;)
Enjoy today to the full.  You are not sure of a tomorrow.
http://www.sittingdogs.co.uk

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2005, 21:42:49 »
We have only had water on tap in the last month or so, but prior to that we discovered that water was piped to a stop cock :o in one corner of our new Lottie, so I wheeled my barrow to this pipe and filled her up, on the journey back to my lottie I was quite amazed how little water I had lost. ;D

It was quite heavy going and over some rugged ground too passing about 8 Lotties on the way, ::) so a wheel barrow would be an easy way to transport water if your tap is nearby and you don't get too greedy and fill it to the brim, but you will get loads more than 20lbs worth with ease. 8)

lanky lass

• Not So New ...
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2005, 23:24:59 »
Yes Yuet_lee I agree, We Want Rain......
I am in Blackburn too, I have only had my plot since May and have only one water butt. It has only a couple of inches of water left in it! I've been having to resort to filling up milk cartons (4 pinters) to water some of my veggies, and I don't have very many.........
lanky

Yuet_Lee

• Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2005, 00:18:10 »
I already been taking water down to the plot about 3 weeks ago. Because All the vegetables I grew( Chinese Veg) needed a lot more water than the others. Otherwise its went bolt striaght away >:(
Does anybody knew Line dancing out there ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal