Author Topic: Potato celebration!  (Read 8547 times)

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
Re: Potato celebration!
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2005, 08:53:17 »
I don't think "Ice Crystal" exists, I can't find it in any reference books/databases.

One of the problems with names of varieties is that they get corrupted. The most likely is Lady Christl which is an early and very productive variety which I siad, as have others, has good flavour for a modern early

Phil

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2005, 10:02:03 »
Yep - Lady C tastes lovely! I could even taste them through my cold!

And beetroot leaves masquerading as spinach are also really nice. Lovely and earthy and irony. Is that what chard tastes like?
gone to pot :D

Sprout

• Acre
« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2005, 10:03:22 »
Dug up my first ever spuds yeserday: 7 smallish Anyas. Foliage was looking a bit sorry for itself so thought I'd have a look and see what was below. Shall have them for my tea tonight.
Mansfield Woodhouse, Nottinghamshire

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2005, 10:57:26 »
Hello Sprout  :)   Foliage on some of my spuds looks awful.  I think it was the frost on 4th and 5th June that did it.  Hope it was only frost and not anything worse.  The foliage on most of my spuds looks marvellous but is that any indicator that there are loads of spuds under it  ;D   Mine are under black plastic and planted on top of cardboard and manure.  I shall find out shortly if this has been a success.  Not sure when they're supposed to be ready.  The flowers have come and gone but the foliage is still upright and perky.  Am I supposed to wait til it starts looking scruffy or what ? Anyone?

Tim   I agree "not always mint".  I have some lovely rosemary and thyme growing - all I need now is some spuds ..  I've grown Arran Pilot and Cara.  Not sure when to pick
« Last Edit: July 08, 2005, 11:00:30 by wardy »
I came, I saw, I composted

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2005, 11:18:01 »
Wardy,

Because of the way you have planted, it's easy. Just peel back the plastic and have a look, if they are not big enough, put it back and try again in a week.

If some are big enough just pick those that you want - leave the rest to grow bigger - it's one of the advantages of no dig!

Phil

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2005, 19:46:50 »
Dug up a couple of sante's today, along with some 'volunteers' that I could finally clear, and came away with a mixed bag of spuddies, all different shapes and sizes.  But my biggest pleasure is that, at the moment, almost zero slug damage!  Last year all of my spuds had damage, from earlies to lates, but I think there were just 2 little ones today!  Of course, now all the slugs in Essex will head to my plot and start feasting!

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2005, 21:06:37 »
Dug 3kg mostly concorde and some red duke of york on wednesday night. Not very sluggy, unlike the rocket had been. Not a very high yield, at 250gm per plant, but still not too bad. Tonight I also dug up an International Kidney plant - 12 spuds, and they were small, but if I give them another week or so, better yield I hope.

Did a bit of a taste comparison tonight, found the RDoY fell apart a bit, but otherwise all tasted nice, although preferred the waxy concorde and IK.
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2005, 20:35:50 »
...RDoY fell apart a bit....
Moggle,

Try steaming them, instead of boiling - it also preserves more of the flavour

Phil

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #48 on: July 09, 2005, 22:08:40 »
Phil    Will peel back some black plastic tomorrow and have a look.  Can't wait  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2005, 09:35:26 »
Second Phil's steaming suggestion. Mine still split a little (I must remember they don't take nearly as long to cook as shop-bought spuds) but last year some completely vanished when boiled.
gone to pot :D

westsussexlottie

• Acre
« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2005, 09:43:37 »
We have had a very high yield from anya potatoes, and also from yukon gold (much more floury type) - but disappointing yield from international kidney, and poor flavoured (but beautiful looking) amandines.
We still have verity and pink fir apples growing.
Had a yummy potato salad yesterday using our own potatoes, red onions, coriander.

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2005, 10:04:24 »
Given that there are over a hundred varieties available to amateur growers, the solution is to find the variety(ies) that:

a. grow well for you
  AND
b. you like the taste/texture of

Even then seasonal differences can radically effect yield and, to a lesser extent, flavour

Meanwhile recomendations on A4A are very helpful - but can you give your soil type and whether and with what you manure/fertilise?

Where do you get over a hundred varieties? POTATO DAYS (or have I said that before) I'll be putting together a list towards the end of the year.

Phil
« Last Edit: July 11, 2005, 10:06:37 by philcooper »

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2005, 12:45:20 »
have dug up all my charlottes (clay) and they were lovely so will grow them again. now on to my desiree and nicola. :)
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal