Author Topic: personal profiles  (Read 59414 times)

ava_banana

• Acre
  • EmmaJane's handyman
Re:personal profiles
« Reply #180 on: June 12, 2004, 00:24:01 »
Nice one Richard, thanks for the profile......

Also well done on the ATC bits......I have a certain amount of experience there myself....and must say I really did enjoy it.

....we are all visitors to this earth........enjoy your stay.....:)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #181 on: June 12, 2004, 09:14:15 »
At last, Richard. Long live the ATC. Keep them at it.

I just have to add this bit of 'bull' - of which I am very proud - even though it hangs sadly in a wardrobe. Our version of the motto was 'it's quicker by bus'! = Tim
« Last Edit: June 12, 2004, 09:17:48 by tim »

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #182 on: June 12, 2004, 23:20:48 »
Nice one Richard, thanks for the profile......

Also well done on the ATC bits......I have a certain amount of experience there myself....and must say I really did enjoy it.

Care to enlighten us Ava?

I must say its a small world

ava_banana

• Acre
  • EmmaJane's handyman
« Reply #183 on: June 13, 2004, 23:21:10 »

Care to enlighten us Ava?

I must say its a small world

Small world indeed.

Err.............how far do you want me to go......it kept me busy outside of school and work for many years.

Joined aged 13.........
Had some brilliant times as a cadet (Flying Scholarship, International Air Cadet Exchange to Canada, Sailing courses etc  ;D  ;D)
.....rose through ranks to Cadet Warrant Officer  8)

Applied for my commission, was successful, went into uniform, rose to Flight Lieutenant, commanded a number of Squadrons (and one D/F)...

Used to do a lot of adventure training (Abseiling, Rockclimbing Instructor etc, etc).....

Really enjoyed my time...........but found that with a young family you don't have time for everything.

It gave me, and taught me, an awful lot.!!

How about you?

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #184 on: June 14, 2004, 05:56:32 »
So now we know where the handyman bit comes from! And the vroom vroom ?

D/F Ava?? All I can think of is detached flight. = Tim

Les_Woof

• Acre
  • Ger orf ma land!!!!!
« Reply #185 on: June 14, 2004, 08:55:25 »
It seems there are a few of us around.

I was an active member of 2192 Sqn (Appleby Grammar School).

Joined also at 13 rising through the ranks to CWO unfortunately moved away and didn't carry on as a civi etcetera.  

Took part in the DoE Award Scheme.

Flew Chippies at RAF Leeming and achieved my glider solo at Salmsbury (think thats how it was spelt), also captained Cumbria and North Lancs 1st XV (to victory 3 years on the trot), captained the North West Region (again for 3 years however only Northern Champs once) and played for the Corps (receiving my Blue) against the RAF colts.

Not forgetting all the summer camps to various RAF bases within the UK and luckily Germany and Cyprus.

Thoroughly enjoyed it, hope it is going from strength to strength.  I think a couple of years after I left 2192 became a D/F of Penrith Sqn Which were the Lees Trophy winners, under the guidance of my ATC mentor, rugby coach and all round good fella "Choc" Siddle...........

Take care all

Les.

All the hard work is finally starting to pay off.....

ava_banana

• Acre
  • EmmaJane's handyman
« Reply #186 on: June 14, 2004, 09:11:36 »
Yes Tim, D/F ........... Detached Flight (a unit without a permanent squadron number, almost a "Squadron-in-waiting").

Les, I too used to play for my Wing and Region (East Essex and Central and Eastern England at Rugby). I used to do the same in Athletics (shot putt and 100 mts)...although don't think I can manage it nowadays... ::)

....ahh summer camps......and Germany....I was lucky enough to go to Gatow in Berlin.....a real experience..

8) 8)..........happy days........

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #187 on: June 14, 2004, 10:49:47 »
All i can say is: WOW I wasnt expecting to discover such common ground as that when i wrote my profile.

Yes I have certainly gained a lot from my years in the Air Cadet Organisation, some as a cadet but far more as adult staff.

5 years with my school's CCF (RAF) section, including camps at Waddington and Benson. Then 18 months cadet service with Dorchester (2182) ATC (including camp at Stafford) before becoming a CI in 1998. As I said in my profile I have recently 'gone into uniform' in the new rank of Adult Sergeant, which has been in place less than a year after a reveiw of the Corps.

PS. AVA: Your ATC CV is very similar to an junior officer I work with currently. Joined at 13, rose to CWO, then a commission a couple of years ago and is a qualified outdoor education instructor. Hasnt got to sqn command yet, but if he sticks with it it is only a matter of time.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2004, 10:55:54 by Richard F »

Les_Woof

• Acre
  • Ger orf ma land!!!!!
« Reply #188 on: June 14, 2004, 12:15:08 »
Ava, my best camp was like you to Germany but to RAF Laarbruch, at the time two of my ex cadet mates were serving there with the RAF regiment (from memory I think it was 22 Sqn) and I managed to spend 3 days on section with the reg.  Fantastic!!

Even got as far as joining the RAF.  Went to Biggin Hill for officer selection, changed my mind from planes to helis.  Passed everything then busted my cruciate ligament playing rugby so that carear went out of the window.

But as a believer in fate, I wouldn't have met my beautifull wife, and have the gorgeous daughters I have now if I'd have made it.

So unlucky RAF you missed out on getting me!
All the hard work is finally starting to pay off.....

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #189 on: June 15, 2004, 07:02:43 »
Sorry to have missed you! = Tim

TrailRat

• Half Acre
  • I like the feel of dirt in my teeth
« Reply #190 on: June 20, 2004, 11:43:50 »
New to this site and so I thought I would add my pennyworth in.

I'm 22 and was born and bred in North London, Enfield. Had a mad child due to small problem that took 6 child pyschologist, 4 counsellers and a special boarding school to fix. I want to thank my parents for putting up with me during this time. Managed to pass all my GCSE's with an A. I am a self confessed nerd and I continue to try and expand my knowledge. Since leaving school I have done many things, I am skilled computer engineer, a talented confectionary baker, self taught carpenter and all round tech head. My hobbies include reading, movies, carpentry, computers, modelling, electronics, robotics and of course the MTB. Mountain biking is where I get my alias from because I like to ride low and dirty. I will read anything and everything and have a habit of reading really fast. Most say its not possible to read as quickly I do and understand the book. I don't have read all the words to understand the sentence, thats the easiest way to explain it. My other interest include alternative medicine, recycling and all thing beneificial to our enviroment. Not been to see a doctor since I was able to make a choice but a few "spills" have forced a visit to the hospital. I have poor circulation which means my feet are always cold, even in our recent tropical climate. I love to tinker with everything just to see how it ticks. Had so many jobs but I am currently settled as a Yardman for civil engineering company. As I am always broke, I'm always looking out for ways to save or make money. In result of that I am looking for a carpentry apprentiship and P/T TV/Film extra work. Got a lovely partner who I met in 2002 whilst working as a baker in our local supermarket. This febuary just gone she said yes to being my wife, but wedding not planned for a few years yet. Hoping to get into competions on the bike in the future. I think that's it.

TrailRat
If it weren't for beer and sex than cycling would be the best thing in the world.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #191 on: June 21, 2004, 09:35:17 »
Great - no need for Google any more!!

(Childhood I trust?) = Tim

TrailRat

• Half Acre
« Reply #192 on: June 21, 2004, 18:10:09 »
Yeah sorry I did mean childhood.

??? didn't catch the google comment or was that a private joke  ???
If it weren't for beer and sex than cycling would be the best thing in the world.

ken (69)

• Acre
« Reply #193 on: June 22, 2004, 17:32:16 »
Hi Trail...I did a few routes in The Lake District when MTB first came out.Frightening.Burnmoor Trail and South Wasdale to Eskdale Green.Still have the bike and rigged it for touring.Have you done Coast to Coast.

TrailRat

• Half Acre
« Reply #194 on: June 22, 2004, 18:49:29 »
Done hadrians wall, quite a backgarden that fellows got. ::) sorry old joke. Done quite a few in the lake district but couldn't name the trails I prefer forests and quarries. Love the drops.  ;D Done the devils climb in south wales but that was road work. Last June I rode back from Rome to London for charity.

check out www.rometothedome.com , i'm in there somewhere in that photograph at the back. Standing next to a W i think. No coast to coast as yet but I want to do LEtJOG.

ken (69)

• Acre
« Reply #195 on: June 23, 2004, 15:28:14 »
Congrats Trail. Saved it to look at later.Some trip. I did the endtoend in93 from John O Groats Scottish Hills more manageable than in Cornwall.With all these Sustran routes probably could do it off road nowadays. P.S. Richard and Tim..I was in the RAF (for 1 day) at Cardington Bedfordshire. The md said "we can't take you, you're deaf. "I said "pardon".

CotswoldLass

• Hectare
  • I love gardening!
« Reply #196 on: June 25, 2004, 22:47:23 »
Well of course I'm sure you all recall the old RAF interview...'repeat after me.. Air, Hair, Lair' ...Yah hallo old boy welcome to the RAF!!

Sorry, much respect have I, my beloved is an officer with the khaki mob..

Hello to the light blues!

Love CLxx

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #197 on: June 26, 2004, 12:46:42 »
Cardington? Used to pass the 'balloon sheds' in the 30's on the way to school.

Eskdale? Every year for the last 30 years - THE PEACE!! - brother-in-law's home. = Tim

ken (69)

• Acre
« Reply #198 on: June 26, 2004, 17:30:32 »
Cardington, Tim. Neville Shute the author rings a bell.Didn't he work on the balloon that caught fire..Eskdale....know every mile.Was walking thru Penny Farm or Penny Hill Farm ,near Doctors Bridge,when BSE shooting started.Have stayed often at Wasdale Hall and the hostel near the pub.

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #199 on: July 06, 2004, 11:53:28 »
Multiveg may be able to grow vegetables, but can't fly a glider (K7 or K13, was a back seat passenger in a K4) in a straight line.
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal