Author Topic: Planting Rhubarb  (Read 1627 times)

RichardS

• Quarter Acre
  • In the wilderness of rural Twickenham....
Planting Rhubarb
« on: April 19, 2005, 11:14:21 »
Last weekend I put 2 Rhubarb plants in - (are all small rhubarb plants generically referred to as "crowns"? - these came in 5" pots and had two leaves apiece).

However, I planted them so that the tip of the new shoots was level with the surface of the soil.

Belatedly referring to my trusty Titchmarsh allotment owner's handbook, it says crowns should be planted 2" below the surface of the soil.

So, should I carefully raise them again and replant, but deeper this time?

Also, it's decent soil, but should anything be put on/around them - well rotted manure, blood/fish/bone, etc?

MarthaMad

• Quarter Acre
Re: Planting Rhubarb
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2005, 11:43:03 »
According to Ken Muir:

Planting:
This is best undertaken in the late autumn although it can be carried out anytime until the end of March. The divisions should be planted 90cm (3ft) apart each way with the crowns slightly above ground level.

MANURING
Rhubarb will respond to annual surface dressings of farmyard manure or compost covering the plant.

In addition, immediately after planting or at the end of March, whichever is the later, each crown should have broadcast in a circle 45cm (18in) diameter around it:
25g (1oz) Nitro-Chalk (calcium ammonium nitrate) and 10g (1⁄4oz) sulphate of potash.

At the end of May and June broadcast:
20g (3⁄4oz) Nitro-Chalk (calcium ammonium nitrate).

In subsequent years in March, broadcast on each m2 (yd2) in a circle 90cm (3ft) diameter:
20g (3⁄4oz) Nitro-Chalk (calcium ammonium nitrate) and 10g (1⁄4oz) sulphate of potash.

Alternatively, a compound fertilizer may be used following the manufacturer’s recommendations.

David R

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2005, 13:47:49 »
Dont disturb them now, they will be fine. Soil level is perfect. Don't pick any this year, and give them plenty of water and they'll be fine.

Next winter cover them in poo,  and they will give you some stalks to eat (but not too many in the 2nd year, and never after July!).

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2005, 14:40:07 »
According to Ken Muir:
..............each crown should have broadcast in a circle 45cm (18in) diameter around it:
25g (1oz) Nitro-Chalk (calcium ammonium nitrate) and 10g (1⁄4oz) sulphate of potash........20g (3⁄4oz) Nitro-Chalk (calcium ammonium nitrate).....20g (3⁄4oz) Nitro-Chalk (calcium ammonium nitrate) and 10g (1⁄4oz) sulphate of potash........

With a covering of FYM each autumn and a sprinkling of orgainc fertiliser such as Blood fish and bonein the Spring, you don't need chemicals that wash out of the soil at the first sign of rain, and the taste is a damned sight better!

Phil

Phil

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2005, 16:38:39 »
I planted new crowns Sept 03 and have fab fruit coming through now.
Had they been my new crowns I would have dug a hole to about 2' deep and forked the bottom then put a goodly amount of FYM mixed with soil into the bottom and back filled to planting level with decent soil then planted the crowns (With rhubarb you only get one chance to do this).
Yours only went in last week so (if they were mine) I'd dig 'em up again and do just that.
As stated, don't pull any stalks this year, next year pull only about 1/3rd. Every year after that leave 1/4 of stalks to die back.
In spring just before the new growth, cover the whole thing with well rotted FYM to 3" or 4".
If you're thinking of forcing any, don't do it this year or next year. Forcing weakens the plant.
Mind you, I'd only do all of that if it were my rhubarb!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal