Author Topic: Taking on another allotment  (Read 2808 times)

brownthumb2

• Half Acre
Taking on another allotment
« on: May 18, 2016, 09:46:40 »
  On our site we have a spare allotment  its been empty for about 2 yrs or more   ive been thinking about taking it over  as its only £20 a year rent,  to grow potatoes  and  courgettes  sweet corn  beans and soft fruit  etc  , which takes up space on the ones we,ve got ...things which sell good ... My partner and I have  two... 75 ft by 25 ft roughly  combined (£40 a year ) I retire in just over year  so have been planning on making and selling jams and preserves  at a local carboot  which is held 100 meters away from the allotment site , Plus the cottage adjoining said we can put a honesty box table to sell any excess, along side their egg one .we are  growing a lot fruit for this purpose  which is taking up a lot of room on the ones we got now So planning to move a lot of the fruit over to the new one , So my question is what is the minimum years i need to leave  as a crop rotation in the vege mentioned mainly the potatoes.?

daveyboi

• Hectare
  • Have fun enjoy your allotment
    • Daveyboi's Blog and personal website
Re: Taking on another allotment
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 10:15:00 »
Just a note of caution as most allotment sites do not allow growing for sale so check out your agreement is a wise move first.
Daveyboi
Near Haywards Heath Southern U.K.

Visit My Blog if you would like to

brownthumb2

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 10:22:07 »
 A  private  allotments  and already have permission from land owner  so no problems  from that source .

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 15:14:46 »
I would allow 3 years between crops of potatoes but also why not think of a good row of smaller decorated dahlias. My wife and I for many years did boot fairs selling dahlias and they sell like hot cakes, as they are not the easiest flower to travel in shops. We were often back home by 10 having sold up to 50 bunches. The only reason we stopped was that we lived in a tied house and we lost cottage etc. when the owner died after we worked for him 25 years.

brownthumb2

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 22:33:56 »
what a good idea  as I love dahlias  and grow a few already     Was thinking of growing more perennials  and take cutting and grow on for sale  Several  seeds companys   have special offers  on  pick and mix type  bargain buys  Just expecting a delivery of a  mixed pack of hellebores  another fave of mine so planning of saving seeds from them  also to grow on   for resale 

Glassprimitif

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2016, 16:47:18 »
Just take care when selling preserves at car boots. You may need the right kitchen hygiene certificates (you may already have these). It's not just trading standards that patrols car boots these days - environmental health and the council do too.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal