Author Topic: I don't wish to suggest it's been a funny year but...  (Read 2137 times)

gray1720

• Hectare
I don't wish to suggest it's been a funny year but...
« on: September 01, 2015, 16:03:03 »
I picked my first three runner beans yesterday - August 31st!

The fundamental cause has been lack of rain - to the point where people have been unable to get enough water out of the wells to water stuff. Now, of course, we have too much!

Anyone else got any unseasonal crises to share?

Adrian
My garden is smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum!

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
Re: I don't wish to suggest it's been a funny year but...
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 16:58:16 »
My sweetcorn is looking good ... but it seems to have developed an interesting trans-sexual trait.  I've had female corn cobs forming at the top where the male flowers should be and some otherwise normal corn cobs with a male flower coming out of the tip ... also some of the male flowers have individual kernels of corn forming on them here and there ... it's all a bit confusing!   
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 17:01:27 by squeezyjohn »

gwynleg

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2015, 21:04:49 »
Yes I only started harvesting my runner beans at end of august and that was after 3 sowings! I am glad to be getting some as its one of my favourite veggies. Some of the plants are just flowering so not sure if they will set and produce a this time of year - guess the weather might be a big deciding factor (but is it also about day length?).
It has been a very peculiar year all round for my plot. No one major thing but nothing really doing very well. I planted 6 courgette plants though and still havent had a glut!

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 08:08:55 »
My corn, which has turned out fine, was also very odd this year.

Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 10:44:19 »
Some of my sweet corn is only just starting to produce silks. Not sure whether they will get a crop in. Baby corn still not produced even tassels.  Though they have time to just make it, since they do not need to mature.   Deer eaten all of my carrots.  But main crop of sweet corn tasting good but only one cob per plant.

Luckily our well has not run dry, but a lot of work watering.  Used loads of mulching. 

Runner beans are normally quite happy producing now. I sow some very last in order to extend the season, so I plan for a batch to start now.   

Not much sign of pumpkins.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal