Author Topic: Archos G9 Tablet  (Read 3994 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Archos G9 Tablet
« on: February 07, 2013, 13:04:00 »
I have an Archos G9 8 inch tablet which in the main i am very happy with. However recently the micro USB mains recharging lead stopped working and now refuses to charge the tablet. I can charge the tablet through a PC USB lead but it is very slow this way. I am now looking for a replacement lead. Unfortunately Archos dont seem to supply replacement leads, so have been forced to look at non Archos micro USB recharging leads. This is where i have got lost and need some help.

It appears that there is not much difference between the leads available, seems to me as if one Micro USB mains lead is like another but if that was the case why then would there be so many different makes, and why, (according to reveiws on Amazon) do some only work on certain devices, but not others? I found one lead in Argos that described itself as 'generic' but looking deeper it was clearly made for Kindles. I am confused. can anyone help please?

This is the tablet:
http://www.archos.com/products/gen9/archos_80_g9/index.html?country=gb&lang=en

InfraDig

• Hectare
  • Rochester, Kent
Re: Archos G9 Tablet
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 13:25:20 »
I can't help with your machine, but was reading about a similar problem with an ipad. It seems ipads use a non standard USB wiring in their power supplies, and put  (I think!) 2.8V and 2V on the data lines to indicate that the charging will take place at 1 amp and not 500mA. Perhaps yours does something similar?

Google "Minty Boost"

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 14:14:20 »
Yep a lot of devices will detect if there is an active data pin and lower the voltage if there is.  This is why mains charging is often quicker.
Ipads are even worse - they will tell you that it is not charging even if it is unless you use mac approved stuff.
I have lots of usb plugs for this purpose which should work with any standard micro usb lead..
As there is no active data pin it should charge at max speed.

http://tinyurl.com/a9u6z2x

USB is a specification and all leads are effectively the same and they should work with all devices.  However certain manufacturers are not beyond adding authentication chips - mainly so they can sell you their own overpriced items..However we buy dozens of cheap micro leads and they work on everything we have at work..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 14:47:23 »
I have an adapter which connects a USB data cable to a mains socket, normally used to recharge USB devices when abroad rather than take bulky mains cables. I have been using this to charge up my tablet but its no quicker than the slow trickle charge you get through a PC. No i really need a replacement mains cable, 3 pin plug one end, micro USB plug the other. Until it went wrong the one the tablet came with charges nice and fast. Takes nearly 12 hours using the data cable.

Thanks for replies.

PS anyone actually got one of these tablets or a variant?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 14:49:12 by Garden Manager »

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 15:20:51 »
Update:

Done some investigating. It seems as if the specified power output for the device/charger is the key to whether a charger will be compatible or not.

The old charger for the tablet says 'Output 5V - 1.5A.

Does this mean i need a charger with exactly the same output rating, within a range, higher or lower to work with my tablet?

thanks

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 15:29:10 »
I am not sure what the difference between "a 3 pin plug one end with a micro USB plug on the other end" and "an adapter which connects a USB data cable to a mains socket".  They are the same thing unless I have missed something..I often do!

Looking at the Archos forums it seems you are not alone but ebay to the rescue...

http://tinyurl.com/aa6lgjp

InfraDig

• Hectare
  • Rochester, Kent
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 16:10:04 »
My understanding is that the ipad is just using the USB plug connected to a power adaptor 240 to 5V, in a non standard way, with simple resistors pulling d+ to 2.0V and D- to 2.8V which makes the ipad take 1amp. The bit at the mains end must be capable of providing that!

If you just use an ordinary (proper) USB cable from a laptop say, then these voltages won't be present and it will charge at a lower rate, and therefore take longer.

As Minty Boost points out, in the case of the ipad there is no "intelligence" in the charger (or the ipad on the charger side), it is just the voltage levels on D+ and D-

Of course this may not have anything to do with your problem at all, in which case I apologise!!

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 09:28:32 »
I contacted Archos just before starting this topic, not really expecting much. They came back to me last night to tell me the output specification for the charger suitable for my tablet model was 5V 2A. Fine but not quite what the plug of the existing (broken) charger said!

To clarify what i said in my last post; it appears there are two types of charger/power supply for mobile devices. One is an adapter which you plug a USB data cable into to charge from the mains - charges slowly, currently using this method to charge my tablet. The other is a dedicated mains lead for the device with an appropriate USB connector (Micro in my case) built into it. These charge much quicker than the data cable method and it it this that i had with my tablet. has now gone wrong and needs replacing.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2013, 10:50:12 »
I see what you mean now!

I think this http://tinyurl.com/bkhsx6p will do the job

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2013, 11:08:01 »
Er sorry no not quite

Been searching and searching. Can find chargers with right connection (micro usb) but not right ouput (too low - designed for mobile phones not tablets).  :BangHead: Can find chargers with right output (5V 2A or 2000mA) but with wrong connector (mostly DC jacks)  :BangHead: Something that does both? Such a thing does not seem to exist!  :BangHead:

Thought about trying a charger with a jack plug and finding an adapter for micro usb but cant find the right one (ditto converting a nokia phone charger - no go).

Not convinced by these kits which are basically adaptors for USB data cables, as i already have one and cant see what i will gain buying another unless they have differing power outputs?

:BangHead:

Another thing had occurred to me and thats the possibility that Archos have given me duff info. Typical  :BangHead:
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 11:26:30 by Garden Manager »

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2013, 15:00:10 »
Right last go...
http://tinyurl.com/ab2qwqw

It is specifically for the ARCHOS 80 G9 TABLET. Output: DC 5V 2000mA , connector seems (though not explicitly specified) to be micro-usb

Am I getting warmer??

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2013, 23:19:47 »
Thanks Nick. Sorry if I seemed ungrateful, just getting frustrated (hence the  :BangHead: s).

Think I may have found something suitable now, although your suggestion looks promising.

Now though it looks as if I may have another problem. Tablet either not charging fully or not holding it. Hoping this is a symptom of using the data cable to charge it all the time rather than the proper mains one.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2013, 08:40:23 »
Hey not at all GM!!!  I know exactly how frustrating this sort of stuff can be. Drives me nuts sometimes trying to find power adapters or spares.  I ended up buying a modular kit with a variable power supply with about 30 different ends as people at work keep losing laptop power supplies.

Hope your tablet returns to normal once you get a proper charger on it!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal